xcv ━━ the quagmire begins.

· ━━━━ · ✣ · ━━━━ ·

It's a sad thing, protecting a breakable heart

· ━━━━ · ✣ · ━━━━ ·

Addy stared at Harry in disbelief, but he was already pushing past everyone with a tight grip on her hand, murmuring for Hermione and Ron to change out of their wet clothes and meet them back down in ten minutes.

"What happened?" Addy hissed to him, glancing back over her shoulder at the others as they climbed the stairs, "Did you-?"

"We got the horcrux." Harry's voice was barely a whisper, "But fucking Griphook took the sword while we were in Bellatrix's vault."

She swore darkly beneath her breath as they reached the top of the stairs, making their way towards her bedroom. Without the sword, they were incapable of destroying any more horcruxes they were to get.

"We rode on the back of a dragon and dropped down into a lake we were flying over, then we Apparated here." Harry continued as Addy led him through the door, "We were nearly caught by the Death Eaters at the bank but we managed to escape."

She sighed, "We'll figure out some way to destroy the horcrux, I suppose. I'm so glad nothing happened to you."

Addy then shifted her gaze down onto the floor as he began to undress out of his wet clothes, furrowing her brows at the anticipation that seeped into her skin.

She had guessed for months that there would be an event which would result in devastating outcomes once the dust had settled. Every moment of each day was the rising action towards the climax; it was approaching quickly.

"Why do we need to go to Hogwarts?" Addy inquired with a murmur as her eyes flickered up towards him.

Harry was tugging on his shirt, nearly fully dressed as he replied, "You-Know-Who knows what we're doing, and the last horcrux is at Hogwarts. He's going there to try to hide it from us, he got into my mind."

She nodded slowly while biting at her lip, leaning back against the wall she stood by. Her eyes were fixed upon his own with dread, for too many different reasons.

A fearful possibility was centered in the front of her mind, so vivid that she couldn't shake in any other thoughts to distract her anxiety. She dug her fingernails into the palms of her hands to steady the rise and fall of her chest, praying that she could get through at least one night without breaking down into tears.

Harry's gaze softened as he examined her figure with concern, "Adds, what's wrong?"

She hesitated to speak as she stared down at the floor, pivoting her body towards the door to indicate that they should leave for Hogwarts as soon as possible, rather than consoling her overly sensitive soul.