Chapter 1: Looking Back

2 December, 1990, my 11th birthday. I had been waiting all year for my letter to come.
My birthday came and went, and I hadn't received my letter. I had checked our grand fireplace, the one that rose from our floor and broke through the ceiling as if it were longing to reach the sky. I checked our postbox on our curb, in front of our tiny house, at the opening of our small cul-de-sac in Surrey, England. But alas, no letter.

"Of course!" I remembered, "I turn older in the middle of the term, so they wouldn't send a 10-year old to Hogwarts School. Right? My letter must be coming next year, right? I can't attend Hogwarts mid-term," I hoped.

I noticed I had different... abilities around age 4 actually. I was able to make objects move, and just felt different, as my mum and dad did when they were younger. They knew what it was, but I was unaware of the stellar journey that awaited me.

My powers continued to conjure themselves throughout the years, and at my 9th year, they had to pull me out of muggle (the term they used for non-magic folk) school, and would homeschool me until my letter arrived from Hogwarts School.

My parents were a special couple. Dad was what they called a pure blood— whole family line, as far back as anyone remembered, wizards & witches. However, mum, my beautiful mum, was a muggle-born witch. Her powers took her parents by complete surprise, of course.

They took her out of her muggle school, but much earlier, as they had no idea exactly what her powers were, until her Hogwarts letter came. Although, many pure bloods despised muggle-borns, my dad was different. It seemed that he really loved mum. That's the love I longed to have when I grew.

A love so deep that no one but death could tear us apart.

My dad wasn't my favorite person though, as he was always at the Ministry of Magic, working. And of course he was, he was a Fudge after all, related to Cornelius Fudge himself. My dad was Alabaster Fudge, but everyone called him Al. I didn't fancy his name at all. My dad was a rather tall man, with brown eyes & brown-ish blonde hair.

Uncle Cornelius was a bit of an ass, and when dad was at the ministry, he took after him. Bloody awful to be related to them honestly. Despite his love for mum, I did not care for my father all that much.

I was much more in-tuned with my mother, Rose Milwood. She was a bit on the tall side too. Green eyed, brown-haired, soft spoken beauty. I absolutely loved my mothers name, and everything about her. I so wish I was able to inherit her surname, but no.

I'm Mary Emilia Fudge, Mary for short. I liked my name, simple, plain, and ordinary as was I. Brownish-red hair, that was to my shoulders and lined my face with bangs, bright green eyes, slightly above average height, and I wore glasses.

I liked it that way.