Chapter 39 - Emma

Kevin and I had agreed to meet at the bus stop not far from my apartment complex. He didn't live that far away either—within walking distance from me, which was always convenient.

I was dressed in my usual, dressy-ish outfit—skinny jeans and a pretty black blouse. Though it had been fun to go all out with pretty dresses and more makeup, it was also relaxing to do something a little more low-key. I'd paired my outfit with stylish black, heeled boots.

It was five minutes until the bus would show up, and I was slightly stressing that we wouldn't make it. Kevin always ran a little late. But luckily, he arrived just in time.

"Girl, you are rocking those boots!" he said as soon as he saw me. From the look on his face, that was the only good thing about my outfit. He didn't comment on it, though, I knew it was only a matter of time.

Grinning, I pulled him in for a quick hug. "You look great. Wow, Kevin, who knew you could be fashionably late while also be fashionable?"

Kevin had gone all out with all black; Suit pants, an oversized dress shirt and an oversized denim jacket. With his rich brown hair in disarray, and plenty of rings on his hand, he looked like a cover model in a men's fashion magazine.

"Hardy-har-har. You know I'm always fashionable. You're not allowed to even joke about that." Flicking hair—he didn't have—over his shoulder, he strutted on the bus. I followed along, laughing as I did. This was going to be a fun night.

We arrived at a cozy bar, more suited for conversation than grinding on someone's dick on the dance floor. It was places like this I preferred, not some too-loud-music-and-horny-dancing club.

Kevin sat down gingerly like he was afraid to catch HIV from the chair.

I shook my head and laughed, "I'm just going to grab us some drinks. Sex on the beach for you?" I asked, which was always his go-to whenever we went out together, which wasn't often.

"Nope, not tonight. I'm thinking cognac," he said to my surprise.

"Cognac? Are you sure?" I would never have guessed he would ever like that.

"Of course not. I just wanted to screw with my little psychic. You should've seen your face! Have you ever been wrong about someone's drink preference before?" he laughed as if it was impossible for me to get it wrong.

I thought of Gideon the first time I met him when we all had a drink together at DD. I'd guessed wrong then; he was a tough man to read.

"But yeah, Sex on the beach sounds good."

After getting our drinks, we sat in comfortable silence, looking around the bar. It was cozy in a run-down sort of way. Either way, beggars can't be choosers, and at least, this place offered affordable drinks. I guess I'd learned to live on a tight budget.

"So... you're meeting them tomorrow?" Kevin asked, his finger dancing around the rim of his glass—which, to be honest, was a little disgusting. He was supposed to drink from it, yuck. But the damage was done, and I've already told him about the bacteria and dirt he was now placing his mouth on, before, multiple times. Funny how he was so scared to sit down here, but basically drinking dirt? That apparently wasn't a problem for him.

"Yes, and I might need—"

"My help with the outfit?" he finished, his eyes trailing the clothes I wore once again. "Girl, how do you even choose something like this when I know you got some good shit in your closet? But yes, I will help."

I looked down at what I was wearing; what the hell was wrong with this? I chose to ignore his comment and thank him instead. "I appreciate it. And yeah, we're meeting tomorrow to go over this in-depth BDSM list. Just to see what I'll be into and not into," I explained, both thrilled and, of course, nervous, because when wasn't I nervous? Damn, I envied those who didn't live in this tentative bubble of nerves on a daily basis.

"Oh my god, is this like what Ana Steele and Mr. Grey were doing at that 'business' dinner?" Kevin gaped, but I could see the excitement in his eyes. He was probably anxious for Monday when he could squeeze every detail of the meeting from me.

"I... movies are unrealistic, that doesn't happen in real life," I protested weakly, my thought immediately going to what had happened at the last dinner meeting with the guys. Maybe some of it could happen in real life.

"Mhm, because you didn't mention anything about dessert at that dinner you had with them on Friday, did you?" Kevin teased me as if he could hear what I'd been thinking of.

"Yeah, yeah," I waved it away like it was nothing, but on the inside, I was squirming. I felt like it was one thing to talk about that stuff on the phone and a whole other thing to talk about it in person. "Anyways, you wouldn't believe how many things are on that list!" When I first read it, I was blushing so much I was sweating. Gross, I know.

"Anal sex, double penetration either with one in the ass and one in the pussy, or both in one hole, fisting..." he listed off. Fuck, my eyes were about to pop out of my skull as he kept going.

"How do you even know all that?"

"Girl, I have imagination. I've also watched and read fifty shades of grey. Please." This time Kevin waved me off like it wasn't a big deal.

"Since we're already talking about anal sex... who's the new guy?" I asked, trying to get the attention away from me. At least, for the moment. Anyway, I was quite curious about Kevin's life, as well. What he did, and if he was seeing someone he cared about, mattered to me. We were friends, and I wanted to know about his life.

"Way to segue into another conversation topic," he laughed but quickly got serious. "Well, if you must know..." HOLY SHIT, was Kevin just doing moon eyes at the thought of this guy? What happened to my Kevin? He'd never been like this before.

"Crazy story, but we met the first time at my friend's birthday party few weeks ago. We ended up talking the whole night. We just talked. Like, hello? That's not me, but somehow, I really enjoyed myself. Anyway, we kept in touch, and we've been hanging out for a couple of weeks now. I really like him, Emma," Kevin confided in me, and my heart melted for him. It really sounded like these two had a connection.

"I'm so happy for you! What's he like? What does he look like? Cat or dog person?" I began peppering him with questions, but it seemed like he didn't mind when he started answering them all with a smile on his lips.

"His name is Thomas, but it's pronounced tom-aa-s, like you drag out the a. Damn, he's so handsome. He's muscular and could probably bench press me," he gushed. "And he's sweet. Like the sweetest person I've ever met." When I raised my brows at him teasingly, he backpedaled. "Besides you, of course. You're sweet as well."

I listened as he talked about him, growing happier and happier for Kevin. He sounded like he found someone who treated him with care. Few knew he needed that because all they saw were the fun and carefree side of him and not the vulnerability. I loved that for him.

"Why haven't you told me sooner?" I wasn't angry at him or anything. I was just curious. Everyone had a right to keep things secret.

"Because I don't really know where we're at yet. I don't know if we're exclusive or not, it's still too early to say."

Shit, I knew there was something I'd forgotten to ask the guys. I mean, I'd assumed we would be exclusive while we had our arrangement, but you know what they say about assuming. I didn't think I would be able to be with them, knowing they would be fucking other women as well. I just hoped it wouldn't come to that—me leaving them before we even began.