Chapter 40

It had been two weeks of visting Robert. In and out of hospital for the past two weeks. They all took turns visting except Noah. He hadn't seen Robert since their predicament.

Robert had gotten slightly worse. He was coughing and short of breath a lot more. Chemotherapy was starting to take a toll on him. Making him more tired, pale and most of his hair was starting to fall out from the treatment. But something in his green eyes shined hope. That there was some how a chance that there would be a light at the end of the dark tunnel.

He wished and prayed that the doctor would come in and tell him that he would survive. He wasn't even a religious person but he hoped that his pleads would be heard by someone.

A smile was brought onto his face everytime one of his kids would vist. Even if they just sat in silence he loved it. All of Cameron's pictures were hung around the room to remind him what he was fighting for. It had brought tears to all the nurses and doctors that came into the room.

Robert wished that he could make it up to Noah for missing half of his life. He didn't care if Noah was annoyed or angry at him, he could be that all he wanted. But all Robert wanted was Noah to sit by his side even in silence.

Owen again was taking Cameron into see Robert. Owen and Cameron were at the bottom of the stairs in the hallway. He was in the middle of tieing her shoelaces.

"Owen I want to come." Owen was suprised to see Noah at the top of the stairs. Even Cameron was suprised even if she didn't understand why Noah wouldn't come vist Robert.

"Umm sure were leaving in five." Owen said still a bit taken a back. But Owen knew Noah didn't know of Robert's condition of how sick he has gotten. He would have to warn Noah.

Noah nodded turning back to his room to grab his runners.

"Look I drew this for Daddy. It's a ladybug see!" Cameron held out this weeks drawing up to Owen so he could see it. Pointing with her small little finger at the red and black blob.

"That's great Cam." Owen smiled down at the drawing. He maybe was a little jealous that Robert was getting more drawings then he ever got. But he knew he shouldn't be jealous due to the circumstances. But there was that small part of him that was maybe the size of his little toe.

Noah came down the stairs he looked to see Cameron proudly showing Owen her drawing in which Noah had helped with. Well he just showed her what a ladybird looked like.

"Ready bud?" Owen asked Noah who now stood at the end of the stairs.

"Yeah." Noah smiled at the old nickname Owen used to call him. Owen was suprised that Noah didn't even say not to call him that.

They all headed out to the car. Noah sat in the front with Owen while Cameron sat in the back. Her head hopped side to side to the music coming to the radio.

Owen cleared his throat catching Noah's attention.

"Noah I need to warn you Robert isn't the same since the last time you saw him. He is..." Owen didn't want to say it. He didn't want it to be real, this man was still his father.

"I understand." Noah could see Owen's struggle to even say whatever it was. But he knew deep down what he meant so he just answered before Owen would have to finish his sentence.

Owen nodded glancing at Noah to make sure he was okay. He seemed okay? But was it all just a facade.

Inside Noah was just preparing himself for the worst.

The three of them stood outside of the door the hospital room. Just before Owen was going to open the door. He crouched down to an eager Cameron.

"Cameron I just need you to listen to me." Owen voice was calm and serious. Cameron stood still and looked at Owen. She knew when he used her full name Owen was being serious.