61: Dry eyed

Mira's POV

We are almost late!

I woke up since the middle of the night to get ready cox I don't want him to rush me.

But now I am ready and he is not!

I help him put on his suit and began to button it them up for him. He stands there like a statue as I quickly brush his hair, oil it and then hastened to style it for him in his usual pony.

"You are not supposed to leave long hair when your wife has short hair. Abi you want to make her feel bad me I don't know!" I grumbled.

"My people jealous me" the way he said it is very comical. Maybe that's why he doesn't speak a lot of pidgin English. It's almost as bad as his Hausa.

"Whatever you do, don't speak pidgin again!" I can't stop laughing at him. And he seems just a tad bit annoyed.

n

ce I am done dressing him up, I examine my handiwork. He looks perfect. So I nodded.

"Let's go!" I announced.

He shakes his head again, picks up his brief case and follows me outside.

"Can you at least ease up a little? Mira, it's not as bad as you are making it out to be!" I exasperate.

"We can't be late! We promised to be there by eight. We have to be there by eight" I declare.

He refrained from complaining and follows me outside. I am already in the car, tapping my feet impatiently.

I am taking this very seriously.

You can't want to impress people by arriving late on the first meeting!

By Allah's will, we arrived in the nick of time.

I let out a huge breath of relief.

Zain squeezes my hand to help me calm down. Looking at his steady eyes did wonders for my own jittery nerves.

After I am sure I look normal, i nod to him and we both got out of the car.

At a glance, it's a normal house.

But to practiced eyes like ours, we can see where the abnormality starts. Odd grey patches on the higher side of the walls, sloppy looking electrical wiring with crooked edges and so on.this indicates areas which had been messed with. I guess in a house here in Nigeria, it's not that odd. But to a family like this, I doubt it's normal to have anything out of place even if they bought the house later in life!

My internal alarm system is blaring high. The gardener looks at us with keen interest even though he looks like he is trying to mind his own business.

The gateman is a huge fella that is scary at first glance. The giant doesn't look like he has ever smiles a day in his life!

And then this severe looking maid is walking us inside the house.

Some of the halls we passed while entering g the house are too dark and there is only a dim lighting. I swear I feel eyes on me. Zain is the one acting all normal as he snakes his hands through my elbow no doubt to reassure me. It helps so I am not complaining. But he should have warned me!

In fact from all the stories about these dons wallah its my fault for thinking they are ordinary people.

The living room we were taken too is too bright for comfort. The chairs are stark white against an ash background.

Once we sat, cheery looking maids brought out confectionaries for our welcome.

It didn't take long for the woman of the house, Fa'iqah Arzika, to join us.