32: Runaway

Zain's POV

International conference on artificial intelligence and robotics.

I am supposed to represent Nigeria for this conference.

And for once, a company from Nigeria has something to present. A breakthrough. Our own copyrighted research and our very own amazing results!.

We have created an AI which can perform some security maneuvers only humans should have been able to do.

Everyone is looking forward to it.

I would have feigned illness. I could have chosen to give an excuse or let one of the co-designers present our paper.

But I didn't.

Investors are already jittery. And my various partners on several subsidiaries of King Co. are beginning to question my state of mind.

Everyone is doubting me.

Not to my face, no. But behind office doors, over a cup of tea and whispers within sheltered eardrums.

If i don't present this paper, i would have proven that something is wrong with me.

Moha is daring me to present the paper because he is still not sure what exactly is wrong with me.

He thinks I have personal issues and it's affecting my work. He suspects my separation from Mira and the rift between me and Momsie.

I wish that were the case.

"This is why I don't trust people in love! So damn inconvenient!" He had scowled.

And for the first time, I feel afraid to say my mind. I feel like I am physically incapable of gainsaying him. I feel fear when he is so angry. When the heavy disappointment is directed at me, I can't bear it.

Now I know what panic attack means.

According to the director of information in my AI Research facility, I am only to read out the paper prepared before hand and then answer a few simple questions. I can always sidestep them all by stating we are holding off more info until our technology is ready for the market.

But who am I kidding? My competitors will all be there and they will try to mock me and take advantage of me.

For so long, everyone was skeptical that a young man like me was too ambitious. And then I made the first technology, the second, the third...

And no one dares to look down on me.

Yet this is me. At the precipice of a dive towards greatness. I could join the world super powers behind current successes in the technical world!

And I did do it. I have proven I deserve to stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of the best.

And it is time I prove that I am not only a capable business man, in the technical world, I am a force to be reckoned with!

And it's time.

But I am such a mess.

I would probably make a fool of myself and be mocked for life.