22: One hellish month

Mira's POV

I stare at him desperately waiting for him to tell me the result of this blank perusal of my face.

It's really not encouraging because my face has no recollection of Jas.

"I know" he agrees.

Relief began to pour through me. Ya Allah thank you! I was thinking of every version of Alhamdulillah when his next words shattered my short lived enthusiasm.

"I know you are Jas. But what I don't know is if that night, you were a virgin when I took you in that drugged stupor! Jas was obviously worldly and she has no qualms about initiating intimacy. In fact, the Jas I knew doesna' seem anything like a virgin. And I cannot recall Mira. Was I your first? Is this baby mine Mira?" He asks with quiet dignity.

His words were like a bullet straight to my heart. I didn't think he could do anything worse than what he already did to me. Yet this...

Tears wells up again, forming a film over my lids. My chest rose and fell rhythmically as I wondered what the hell is going on!

He doesn't think I am a virgin when he made love to me?

Ya Allah!

"You are silent Mira. Prove to me you were a virgin that night and I shall immediately accept this child and your apology" he offers magnanimously.

I blinked furiously as I desperately looked for clues. Of all my incessant planning, I didn't think that a time will come when I'll need to prove that I am a blasted virgin!

Ya Hayyu ya Qayyum!

What is going to happen to me?!

"I have no proof except that which resides in your brain and mine. I burnt the clothes from that night. They were all bloody and uncomfortable. Diqee can attest to it. But I doubt you will believe her" I despaired.

"You are right. I will not believe a deceitful friend Mira. And now, I can't believe you too" he mutters sadly.

It's like his words are killing me with each successive blow.

I am doomed!

Ya Allah see me through!

"What are you going to do?" I ask him.

He is so silent for a long while. Then he looks at me and I can see his eyes grow steady and cold.

"I will stay away from me if I were you" he replies frigidly.

My heart sinks ever lower. It's all over. But not on my terms. Is that why I feel like I am dying then?

"There is no marriage with this kind of doubt Zain. Are you going to make it official?" I ask, crushed, knowing instinctively that this is it!

"Do you think so badly of me Mira? That I will divorce you when people will point and wonder whose baby you are carrying in your belly?" He asks.

"I do not know what to think!" I returned hollowly.

"Then let me educate you Mira. Your stunt had ended us as a whole. I will not divorce you because Momsie and Marmie will be heartbroken. Unfortunately, even if you slept with all the men in Lagos, they will still want me to keep your secret" he paused, heaving a breath.

"I don't blame you entirely for crossing the line. But I detest what it turns you into. I absolutely hate what you are now. That innocence I had sensed in Jas. The innocence in you Mira, which draws me to you is gone now. I don't even know who you are!" He looks away before adding "still, I may have to tell our parents to be sure that if something happens to me, you will not pass off your child as mine before it's confirmed that it is in fact mine!" He declares.