65: Hakuna matata

Mira's POV

At the Gaddo mansion

No one knew how it happened.

First, a fire broke out and it was difficult for fire service to save everyone. It was such a great fire that almost razed all of its 2000 acres to the ground. It ate at anything and everything until the beautiful construct is falling as debris, turning into rubble and disappearing into nonentity.

Unfortunately, the old people were affected most. Even though no one died, Pops and some of the old ones were taken to the ICU.

Yakumbo died first. And somehow, pops heard of her death the moment he came to. And he too gave up the ghost.

It was a sad day for the family. All Gaddo family members are busy taking in those from the main house into their own home. And mIra took in Annie and her parents too.

Pop's death had garnered so much attention. A lot of influential people are coming to offer their condolence especially to Baba Mufeed and his brothers.

All seven days were sad and everyone cried their fill. Mira is feeling as if it's a dream. All her life, Pops was just there. He is always just there. Like a rock and a force of nature. To think he is suddenly gone is so abrupt and startling to her. And somehow, Yakumbo's death had hit her more than she dared to imagine.

Marmie, Momsie and everyone around me is so dull.

It's just that pops and Yakumbo, are like the very pillars of the Gaddo house and if they are are no more, then the Gaddo house, might cease to exist.

This is why after the seventh funeral day, and the family reserved an event center for a meeting, Pops expressed his desire to leave Nigeria for good. He promised to visit sometimes.

Of all the rich people in our family, no one offered to build up the family house again. In fact, the only discussion that is going on is who the land should be sold to among the many who wants to buy it.

In the end, one of Pappy' children, an ambassador who now lives in turkey, bought the land with hundreds of millions of naira.

Pappy was entrusted as the family patriarch now. And so even though he is not in Nigeria, he would still ai gain a firm grasp of all family wealth and how it's going to be used when the need arises.

In fact, all family businesses were sold to some family members who can afford it as well and every single wealth was liquidated in a month.

It's like it has never happened.

Like the Gaddo house is wiped from history.

I feel as if there is nothing to live for in Kano state. Annie and her parents moved to kaduna where her father decided to continue his government job. He is a big shot director and has a lot of titles there because her mom is from Zaria and so he decided to leave the state.

Esha followed her husband to Lagos state since her parents decided to move there all of a sudden.

Suddenly, everybody is moving. It's like the anchor keeping everyone together is gone. It's not like everyone is poor. Everyone has a living and they can very well live their lives indeoentpdentoy. No one is even talking of those family members at the bottom. Where they live, how they move on...nobody seems to care.

It's like something is driving everyone away.

It is when Momsie decided to go back to Abuja that I cannot keep quiet any longer.