3: Them numbers

Yes. Pops is the third generation Gaddo who had done his possible best to see he didn't ruin what he inherited. But unfortunately for him, he has a wastrel of a brother who married more times than he changes his clothes. And since he has to marry fair beauties, the expenditure doesn't come cheap.

Pops had then further raised leisure seeking children who had put the final nail in his coffin.

The wealth had been waning steadily from all angles.

And then Yakumbo had contacted a deadly disease. She has to be operated upon by the best team of doctors. And that required more than the family could produce without crashing!

And then bam! The not so pretty Mira is suddenly lucky enough to snatch up Zain King! I mean, it was more shocking than you can imagine for my family.

But Yakumbo and Marmie, for their part arent at all surprised.

They always tell me that I am too beautiful to be born fair. It would have been a spectacle! Haha. I let them tell themselves what they need to tell themselves so they sleep well at night.

Of course they took most of the blame for my coloring. At some point, a lot of our family had looked at Marmie funny thinking I am not their blood. Yakumbo had put a stop to it which had caused her to shoulder some of the responsibility of that claim.

Truth is, sometimes I wonder how Marmie feels looking at me.

My nose isn't the perfect Gaddo trademark. My lips at least can qualify. They are naturally pouty and their color is a deep peach that goes perfectly with my dark brown complexion. I am not even slim, but can they really blame me! A lot of our aunts are never slim! Whether it is luxury or genetics, I have no idea. But it's not my singular problem at least.

Most times, people think I am the less than sterling copy of Aliya who just happens to be a gorgeous stunning beauty.

Like its a pity I am not so lucky.

I am always so annoyed my mind is screaming 'People! Can you stop the mock concerts?'

Every single creation of Allah is its perfect form. No plastic surgery or makeup can uplift it unless one can afford to live a sad insecure, muted life of coined lies!

So excuse me! But I accept my perfect form! And I am no less than Ali! Only in some ways. And if it's add and subtract, wouldn't I be ahead in something too?

Anyways, everything changed remarkably when Zain agreed to marry me. He didn't attend any of the festivities except a formal Dinner in Lagos which was hosted by his closest friends.

I guess all the wedding was to my family is a return into the higher circles. Like their respect is being refilled with vigor! Now that everyone knows that Zain has conformed to the family rules and married a Gaddo, then it can't be true that he has forsaken them! He is still a Gaddo after all. And that changes everything!

For my marriage, my family treated it as an investment. So no matter what, I knew better than to revolt.

But six years is no joke. I did what I could. If it doesn't work, should I kill myself?

Damn but I am not that meek, complacent or obedient!

Not when I am sinking in the mud and fighting quicksand. I bailed myself out knowing full well I shall face relentless criticism and attacks on my character and selfish behavior.

It wasn't much of a surprise that I wasn't welcomed back in our house. I would have suffocated! I hate it there! With a passion wallahi!

So it was mercy, coming to live with Momsie. The family treat me really well. If it wasn't for the fact that I have been indirectly warned severally to beg Zain to take me back, I would have tried hard to forget they existed just so I gain a small amount of peace in this dreary life.