52: A tiny spark of hope

Benazir's POV

So I am not surprised that Zain came to find me. I have been expecting him.

I am currently vacationing in Malibu. I have always loved nature and the seaside cottages have always been the focus of my dreams.

The nightmares goes away when I gaze out my window at that crystal clear greenish blue ocean, flapping against the shore like a giant whiplash.

Lately, I have been focusing on forgetting father. Daddy was unfortunate. I didn't mean to kill him. But the code that I have always lived by, cowardly as it is, is that 'better them than me'

Daddy had lived his life to the fullest. He had family who will always remember and pray for him.

I don't.

Anyways, Zain arrives alone.

I opened the door for him even before he knocks on it.

He is wearing a white shirt and blue jeans that has been ripped a little on the knees and thighs. But they don't show skin, except, they just look like crazy fashion.

He removes the glasses on his face and offers me a placating smile.

Dazzling... that was what my sister thought him to be. Look where she ended.

And now, he is standing in front of me, charming and disarming in his infinite glory.

If I had a heart, it would have reminded me that I am a woman now. I can feel attraction too. And maybe I am feeling it and it just doesn't mean anything to me.

"Are you gonna invite me in?" He asks pointedly.

I can see that he is trying extremely hard to be civil to me. I appreciate the effort. We have one thing in common at least. We are loyal to those we care about.

I moved away and gestured for him to come inside. So he walks past me and entered my rented but cozy little living room.

So a little while later, we are still silently regarding each other with hooded gazes.

Finally, I realized he won't talk first. So I decided to go for the first round of the conversation.

"How are you coping with Mira's death?" I asked, struggling not to smirk. The likes of Mira dying revitalizes me.

His smile didn't waver. And he didn't speak a word.

Ahh..this anger if his tells me he is hurting as much as I had hoped he would.

"It's all her fault you know. She wouldn't listen to reason! I tried everything I could to give her chances to back away. But did she take any of them? No! Mira wants to be your hero. Now she can be your eternal hero" I goaded.

He is still regarding me with that frozen ass smile.

"What exactly do you want?" He finally asks.

I guess this patience of his, is why he is always pushing the boundaries of ordinary men. Maybe this is one of those reasons why he stand as a billionaire where so many others had failed.

What would it be like to be the one who feeds millions and millions of people? That you cease to exist will aggrieve tens of millions directly or indirectly? Just a few months of his illness has caused the company more than just millions I am sure. And that is because Mira had tried to help him out in other ways. Well, having a capable team is one of his many many successes in life. The company won't have just died because it lost one man.

But the mere fact that the company lost so much in such a short period of time is a testament to how great of a man he really is.