6: overzealous

Ali greets Momsie and Baba Murtala as if distracted.

Momsie didn't even answer her. A frown has come on her face because she couldn't even look at the girl. But Ali didn't notice.

Baba Murtala is good at multitasking. Answering the greetings, acting dumb and behaving as if all is fine and dandy!

Ali's fiery gaze collides with mine and she says to me "can I have a moment of your time Mira?"

I share a look with Momsie. Her eyes holds questions. I just shrug. How can I know why she is here!

The only link between me and Ali, aside from thin blood, is the cake I made yesterday!

But my cake isn't the reason Zain didn't attend her party. So what could spur her eagerness into coming to see me so early? And looking like yesterday's chicken too!

I stood up with a nod at Ali's direction to tell her I am brave enough to hear what she is here for.

So Ali follows me to my room and we are suddenly standing and facing each other through surveying gazes.

"Sit?" I ask politely.

Ali shakes her head. "No. I'll stand" she sounds quite grave.

I frown, awaiting her next batch of words. I am curious to know if they will interest me and I am busy wondering why she couldn't even wait until the day has properly broken before she comes to see me.

"He knows" she assures me.

Okay. I am officially confused!

"Who knows what?" Though a nagging feeling is trying to tell me I know what she is talking about, I am just afraid she is here to confirm it for me!

"Zain knows I am not Jas" she tells me, her eyes filling with tears.

Oh so he is breaking her heart to get back at her for pretending to be Jas. Am I dumb to ask why?

"Why do you feel the need to tell me this?" I ask, straightforwardly.

"Because I know you are Jas" she declares through fierce eyes that brooks no arguments.

A slow smile curbs my lips. This is getting interesting!

I pat the bed next to the place I quickly sit on before saying "I think we should sit down"

Ali didn't argue now. She sits, gathering the voluminous gown so it's spread away from my side to avoid being entangled unnecessarily by it.

"Start from the beginning Ali. What happened?" I ask, very curious now.

"I went to Lagos when you are married to Zain. I know everything! I have been following him, trying to get him to speak to me when I realized you are the one sneaking out to meet him. You are the mistress he fell in love with" she proclaimed.

"Why will you follow Zain around trying to speak with him? Why not visit our house?" I ask in surprise. I mean, she is our relative! I wouldn't have turned her away! Not even Zain does that! And he guy loves his privacy and guards his art mansion like it's a secret affair!

"Because I didn't want to meet you before I meet him" she shrugs.

"Ali, why are you really here?" I ask her, sensing she would never truly tell me the truth if why she went looking for Zain.

"I need you to be my alibi. Please help me change his mind about me..." Her eyes suddenly fill with tears.

I have never seen a person as desperate as her. This girl doesn't handle rejection very well. She is a total mess. The only difference between us is that my mess is inward while hers is being advertised!