40: North trouble

Zain's POV

Momsie forced us to take Benazir along just to impress the girl. I don't even know who she is. It's like I am recognizing her from Aunt Safna's.

I can feel her gaze on me even there and when I looked at the direction of the feeling, I saw her watching me from their window before she quickly puts back the curtain to stop me from seeing her.

I remember how Momsie was busy praising this girl Mira dislikes and I tried to listen in case Momsie has a point at the end of her rants. Except there is nothing. So I just turned my mind towards other things that concern me at that moment.

So today had promised to be a good day since it's Momsie's birthday and I wanted to do something nice for her. Except I have already started it badly.

Baba Mufeed came to see me so early. And we had a chat.

"Look Zain. I want to know why you are here!" He asks me point blank.

I didn't even know what to tell him. Will he blow up on me if I told him I am here to take Mira back? Or has his temper cooled a little?

"I came to beseech everyone to give Mira back. I know I was wrong and I don't accept my previous behavior either. But whatever had made me act the way I did, it's over. I will never treat her badly" I try to be calm and humble as usual.

I hate it when others shout at me. Nothing works out when someone shouts anymore!

"Zain you have forgotten what kind of a family both you and Mira come out of! You have forgotten that we hold our dignity close and we never compromise on it! You two have completely forgotten that we aren't what we used to be. And that it's a bad time for anyone to make things difficult for the entire family! No one did this but you Zain. You don't even like Mira! So I will tell you the truth now.

Laziz North, has offered us a deal. We have already accepted it because I thought Mira was divorced. You and I both know that Laziz will never back down from this deal. So you must let Mira go. Perhaps it's better for you to just back away!" He warned.

And I sat there as thoughts bombarded my brain with vigor.

Surely, life is scary. Before I became so useless, everyone is trying hard not to step on my toes. Everyone is afraid to covet what is mine.

I was above censure, above ordinary limitations!

What I did to Mira was bad. But I don't doubt if I was myself, I won't have to suffer anything to get her back. I'll just throw my weight around and force other people to bend regardless of the fact that they want to curse me or whatever they decide to use against me in their weak state.

But now, I am not only being targeted, I am also being bullied!

They are going to force me to divorce Mira. Baba Mufeed just came here to warn me. I don't even know why he did.

Sadly, I have never felt so much obsession with anything in my life like I badly want Mira back. It's like I just want her by my side and I will feel more at ease.

This bleakness I feel recedes to give room for the sunshine in her smile, the radiance of just having her there where I can access her anytime that I wish.

Am I so pathetic that I can't get my own wife back? Will I have to watch Laziz freaking North take her away?

Is he doing this to score her? I can't help but wonder.

Laziz had always competed with me. He is always trying to surpass me. And from what I hear, he is hoping our experiment fail so my company doesn't rise up higher than his own company! As if we were on the same level in the first place! The guy is delusional and dangerous too!