45: That strange emotion

Benazir's POV

I am so glad that I am currently confined all to myself for so many days.

I can well imagine what they are thinking.

It's all going according to my plan.

It doesn't matter that Daddy's death had changed a few things.

Ultimately, if I have to live with the keys, I will surely need a way to divest myself from their evil.

I can well remember how it all happened.

My sister was so heartbroken that she sank into despair one day at a time. One day, I came into her room and what I saw is what made me who I am today.

My sister is kneeling in front of her bed. She holds something tightly in her hand. And she seems to be finding courage as she stared fixedly at a particular spot.

"What are you doing?" I remember asking her.

She had looked at me and smiled.

"I have the answer. I could get anything I want but I will have to pass this test" she tells me.

I remember I sat on the bed facing her.

"What will give you what you most desire?" I wanted to know.

She stares at her fisted hands and said to me "this. This is my answer. If I swallow this medicine and survive, I will wield the power to control the keys. I am so lucky Bee. I chanced upon it by accident! But it works! I am certain that it does!" She swore.

I thought she sounded crazy. But I also know my sister has this really weird thoughts these days. I won't deny her the sport of it. I'll just let her try whatever nonsense she has finally found for herself to believe in it's miracles.

"Having you here gives me strength Bee. We would have everything we ever want. I can marry Zain and you will have all the money in the world to pursue whatever it is you want. And people will see us as true Gaddos. They will want to marry into our family for our surname alone!" She sounded so grand.

And she put whatever is in her hand into her mouth and she swallowed. For a moment, I thought she was bluffing and there is nothing in her hand.

She seems to freeze for a second or two. And shams almost scaled it. Except she lay there on her bed that night so happy she is going to get what she wants...

But she died of a heart problem the next day.

And this woman came to me and told me of the keys. I suspected she is enticing me in the same way she enticed my sister.

"I am certain it will work on you little one. Your heart is stronger than your sister's. You have more grit. It will impress them a lot and they won't mind serving you" she had told me.

She made me feel special. Like I was chosen. Like I am a diamond in the rough and I deserve the best of everything.

And I loved the picture she painted of me. I could do anything and get away with it.

But most of all, I could avenge my sister!

It is because of that love she professed for Zian that she finally went over the edge and accepted this stupidity.

I could always get out when I want, the woman had told me.

Naive as I was, and full of dreams and vengeance... the bitterness did not allow good thinking.

And here I am.

I can't get rid of the keys and the woman has all but disappeared.

And now as I wield much of this cursed power, I will be damned if I can't get what I want!