Author's note

Aslm alkm.

Where to start?

Okay let's go to the very beginning.

Actually the first book in this series should have been beauteous debt. Why didn't I write it? Big question.

The book was inspired by the camping of one Malam/boka in our area and I am so amazed to finally note for real that people definitely do this kind of thing!

Zain's choice is supposed to be one of those stories that pops up in your mind and you think you can just write it as a draft, the background of a series you wish to write fully.

I thought, I need a character who is steadfast in her deen so she can help the others stay in line. A motherly sisterly adorably loving character who could set anyone at ease with admiration and hunbleness...

I need the most calm, loving couple who trouble follows everywhere to steer this ship and I thought of writing a story about a girl like Mira.

I guess all girls at some point relate with Mira in one way or the other. Insecurities, overconfidence, wondering if you are intelligent witty ...if you are loved or just tolerated.... Not just girls, this is a part of growing up.

And Zain, I thought of a character who owns his world outside the bounds of his domain. He was supposed to be in control of his affairs outside his home but ends up quite soft and pliable within his new found home. This kind of character is supposed to show us that everyone is vulnerable whether or not they show it. It's supposed to show that vulnerability is not a weakness and that it's only part of being human. This character should indirectly shape Mira's insecurities so she also learns that they aren't all that different. It's just that circumstances have a way of making people treat situations differently.

This couple should have a tranquil relationship between them so the happy ever after is smooth sailing. If you notice, Zains character isn't quite too errant or complicated. As is Mira. There isn't any major misunderstandings or galling third parties...

Anyways, the concept of the key is originally too broad. And I am supposed to use it as an object of perusal in this book. We all know that the keys are just a concept of manipulation and deceit. It's also supposed to be the bane of whatever activities it provokes within the people associated with it. I had hoped to use the idea to show that once concept might mean differently to everybody involved.

Hassa for example, had a simple wish. She was unstable and broken and she died miserably for making the wrong choices.

And come to think of it, Ali was another short tragedy. In fact those two chapters were meant to show us how one action could decide forever. I always believe that going to these Malams and bokas aside from religious consequences, common sense should tell someone that you are putting yourself at their mercy. How could you know what is real and not? You choose to disbelief in Allah Since you wanted results and then choose to believe blindly in some smart ass that delves into spiritual bullshit asking you to give so much for so little...

How could anyone have known it's a lie? The keys worked sometimes and other times it does not. So you can only believe what you are told it could do and if you don't wait for Allah's answer, you have to put more effort into waiting for a damnable object to give satisfaction!

There is just no win in this. Only loss, sooner or later.

In retrospect, what I regret mostly is that I introduced the keys too early that Mira and Zain's relationship was too fast. There is nothing like a budding romance and the initial giddy love has a special place in fantasy relationships. Truthfully, falling in love for the first time, even in reality is very very exciting. I should have developed more of my chapters at the beginning instead of cutting them off.