53: Her state of mind

Momsie's POV

Benazir arrives in Abuja so early in the morning. Everyone is asleep.

I welcomed her with easy smiles, loving the healthy way she looks. Zain must have been taking good care of her. My only hope is that she doesn't lead him into anything that would mar his steadfastness with his deen.

"I want you to call Zain and ask him to come to Abuja immediately" she states very sternly.

Hands shaking, I pick up my phone from where it is charging and hastened to dial his number.

Zain picks up after a few rings.

"Momsie, isn't it early morning there?" He sounds surprised.

"I don't want to hear anything! Just get to Abuja as soon as you can. In fact, today or tomorrow" I state anxiously stealing a look at Bee. I am thinking...

Zain is not one of my kids who always does as I ask. In fact, if it doesn't suit him, he might just apologize and cut the line.

But he keeps surprising me because he seems to genuinely want to know why.

"I just want to see you" I maintained an obstinate font.

"Benazir is there already?" He doesn't sound too surprised.

"Just come!" I cut off the line.

Benazir, who is watching me very closely, suddenly looks down and then promptly fell apart in tears.

Panicking, I pull her to my chest and began to rock her like a baby.

"Please don't cry Bee. He is going to come here very soon. In fact, just tell me what he did to you and I will personally deal with him when he comes" I soothed.

She didn't tell me anything of course. I suspect her crying is purely dramatic just to get my heart worked up. But I can't stop wanting to soothe her. I can't stop panicking at the sight of her tears...

It wasn't until the next day in the afternoon when Zain arrives.

Umar and Huzaifah woke up the previous day and saw Benazir. In silent but tacit agreement, they told me that they were going over to Marmie's place.

In fact, when Baba Murtala saw her, he immediately packed his things and without a single word, left for his first wife's residence. I don't even mind because I don't like the looks they are all giving Benazir whenever she comes over. They are not even trying to hide it!

"Momsie, is that Mira's picture on the wall?" She asks me.

I look over at Mira's picture. She is not a day older than fourteen there. She is still a little chubby and her smile went along with her classy persona. Even at fourteen, Mira was a very classy child.

I remember celebrating her birthday then. She wanted to wear a party gown and tiara and everything. She looks like a  princess wallah.

But I couldn't remember putting it there honestly. Maybe Umar and Huzaifah are missing her too much and so they are also decorating my living room with her pictures!

I swear now that she is dead, they want to dedicate everything to Mira. Even baba Murtala hunted for one of her picture and framed it to take to his office. He said he wants to remember Mira as she was, radiant and happy, during her first wedding to Zain. He said she was the spitting image of what he loved about the daughter of his. Passionate, driven and confident.

If I gave birth to Mira, I don't think they will love her any more than they already do.

So I sighed.