Chapter 73: Speech Before Party

Half an hour after the ceremony, the wedding party make their way to their table. Word carvings behind Josh and Callie's chairs, Mr. and Mrs. behind them – courtesy of many designs she's seen on the internet. The two decided to keep the food reasonably simple, sticking with an array of finger foods, not wanting to make it difficult. An assortment of dishes including various fruits and vegetable trays, cheese and crackers along with other multiple dishes Callie and Josh's mom have cooked and provided. With the help of Angie's lifelong friend who is a baker and owns her own bakery, she has provided the wedding cake for the receptionist. The wedding cake something Callie hasn't seen before as it's numerous edible photos surrounding the four tier cake, outlined with edible rose petals.

           After a few moments of chatting amongst their family and friends, Kaiser runs over to Callie, of course, she lifts him up on her lap.

            "Mommy I'm hungry," Kaiser says to Callie.

            The clink of silverware hitting a mason jar and Josh's brother Matt standing up from his chair. "Good evening everyone. For those of you who don't know who I am, I am the groom's brother Matt and for those of you who do know me, well I apologize. When Josh asked me to be his best man today, part of me was flattered and the other part of me was scared but mostly I was laughing inside of me because he's finally admitting what we've all known all along, that I am in fact, better than him," Matt smiles, looking over at Josh and winking.

            The crowd chuckling.

            "Now this is my first time being a best man and I read that the most important thing I had to do today was make sure Josh got to the church on time, looks presentable, clean cut and sober. I think I did my job well. We've done everything together, played sports, rode our bikes together, tried to chat up girls together – note the word tried in there," the crowd laughs, "and so many other things. Inseparable. But I remember when Josh told me about Callie. He fell in love and fell hard. She's a great girl, and I couldn't be happier for you bro and for of course giving me another nephew. And after little Kaiser was born, I've never known him to be happier.

            "And considering he's now spending less time with me and less time coming home to see us, it's certainly a testament to the way he feels about Callie. As his brother, it's not that great for me. But I can't be mad because I see how happy they are. So, although I'm not married myself, I thought I might be helpful if I offered them each a little piece of advice. Callie, you can either tell Josh to do something or tell him how to do something. But please, not both. And Josh, getting married comes upon many obligations. But remember, foreplay is optional. So today the single men of the world lost another catch. On the ladies' side, not much has changed. Ladies and gents, on a final and serious note, please raise your glass to my best friend and brother and his beautiful new wife. To Josh and Callie," Matt concludes, lifting his glass in cheers along with all the family and friends.

            After everyone takes a sip of their drinks, water, tea, various alcoholic beverages. Callie's college roommate and best friend Hannah rises from their seats.

            "Hi everybody, how are you guys tonight?" Hannah asks, family and friends answering back. "Well, I'm going to start in the direction Matt did, and for those of you who don't know me, I'm Callie's best friend and former teammate, Hannah. I'm so glad that I have the honor and privilege to stand by her side on her wedding day, and I'm so happy that she asked me to be her Maid of Honor. Even though we've only known each other for a short time, I couldn't be happier to be considered one of her best friends. Cal and I went to Texas together and played softball together. I always heard stories about Josh and quite frankly I didn't like him, and sometimes I thought she was making him up. But one day while we were enjoying the Texas sun and heat, sipping on some beers, Josh came back into her life. Her face lit up so much. I knew this was the Josh she was talking about, and let me say, he was a good-looking guy," the crowd begins to chuckle, "well still is."