Chapter 8: Game Day Along With Boy Distractions

It's Game Day, Callie and Courtney's favorite day. The two walk into class and Callie's eyes instantly connect with Josh's. The kiss giving her visions of the night before. Callie feeling the spark in her lips.

            "Hey, you ready for tonight?" Josh asks once she sits down.

            "Yeah, you coming tonight?" Callie asks.

            "I don't know yet."

             "Well, you should," Callie says. "We're pretty good."

            "So, I've heard by not only you but other people," he chuckles.

            "What could you possibly be doing that you can't come tonight? I highly doubt it."

            "I will let you know that I'm always busy doing something."

            "Okay," Callie smirks. But in the back of her mind, hoping Josh will make an appearance.

            Loosening her arm, throwing the softball around with Courtney. Her eyes wander to the army of a family that fills the bleachers before noticing a certain student walk up and sit down as well. She sneaks a wave before finishing her warm up.

            The game begins and it's not a nail biter, more like a boring blowout. Many strikeouts were thrown and even Texas coaches traveled to see Callie play. Callie watches as the next batter makes her way up to the white plate. The count quickly zero balls and two strikes. She takes a deep breath in and exhales, initiating the windmill and sending the softball flying to the middle of Courtney's mitt. The ball coming back to Callie just as fast as it leaves. Callie not having enough time to protect herself.

            The softball stadium falls quiet with the only the sound of shrieks escaping from Callie's mouth, holding her face and thrashing about on the mound. Ten minutes later, Callie is lifted into an ambulance.