Chapter 44: Lazy Evening

"Swimming and the sun wore him out," Callie nods over to the passed-out child in his carrier. The two enjoying one of their final nights in Florida.

            "Yes, it certainly did," Josh nods.

            "He was cute today."

            "Of course he was."

             "You know what the most precious thing he did today was?" Callie asks, taking another bite of her sandwich, wiping her mouth.

            "What would that be?"

            "When he played with your dog tags again."

            "Oh yeah?"

            "Yeah, it's cute. Next time I'm taking a picture."

            Josh shakes his head, he takes a sip of his beer and begins to eat. Back at the hotel after feeding Kaiser and putting him in bed, Callie walks over to the bed. Josh already settled.

            "We leave tomorrow night," Josh says.

            "I know," she says, taking the braid out of her hair and running her hand through the tangles. "I had fun today," Callie says. Josh slides his arms around her.

            "Me too," Josh nods, laying his head on her shoulder.

            "What time does our flight leave tomorrow night?" Callie asks, resting her head on Josh's shoulder.

            "Eight fifteen I believe," Josh answers, closing his eyes. A few minutes later, Callie hears the soft breathing of Josh asleep, running her hand through his hair and kissing his forehead.