Chapter 52: "Did He Just Say Momma?"

Following the instructions on the recipe card beside her, Callie is preparing dinner and waiting the arrival of Josh. Not having spoken with him all day. Her thoughts are interrupted to the screaming child in his highchair who is throwing a fit, thrashing his hands on the tray. Nine months going on thirteen.

            "Kaiser, buddy, come on," Callie sighs, stepping over to the cabinet to retrieve Kaiser's newfound favorite, Cheerios. She breathes a sigh of relief when she hears the front door open and close. Josh walking into the kitchen and taking a fussy Kaiser out of the highchair.

            "Hey buddy," Josh greets, kissing his son's head.

            "He's been like that all day," Callie says tiredly.

            "What's going on little man?" Josh asks, bouncing the small child and rubbing his back.

            Callie takes a moment to herself, stepping outside to breathe in the fresh air once sliding dinner in the oven. Josh's eyes follow her before turning the other way and walking down the hall to Kaiser's room, taking a seat in the rocking chair.

             "What's wrong man?" Josh asks again, knowing he won't get an answer back. His eyes scan over his fat little arms and legs, checking for any marks or signs that he might have missed when he got him back. It takes Josh approximately ten minutes to calm him down. The little boy falling asleep.

            "Is he out?" Callie asks when Josh emerges back into the kitchen, setting dinner on the table.

            "Yeah but, I think something is wrong."

            "Why do you think that?"

            "Maybe he's still just scared because of what happened or something," Josh answers, trying to come up with a good answer.

            "I'm scared myself Josh," Callie reveals.

            "I know babe, but I'm here to protect you two."

             Callie walks over, wrapping her arms around his torso and placing her head on his chest.

             "So, my parents want us to come this weekend."

            "Oh really?" Callie looks up at Josh.

             "Yes."

             "They've never met us."

              "Yeah, but you're going to," he winks.

             "Do they know about Kaiser?"

            "No, I don't get to them very much and when I tried to tell my mom earlier, my phone disconnected."

             "So, they don't know about me or the fact that you have a child?"

            "No," he shakes his head.

             "Do you want to kill your parents?" Callie let's out a small laugh.

            "I've tried to tell them."

            "Oh god. I can only imagine what the trip is going to consist of."

            "Well, we'll find out this weekend."

            "I better call off work than," Callie says.

            "You better get to it," Josh says, sitting down.

             Callie sits down across from him, picking up her fork but her eyes look up at him. "Do you think we're moving too fast?"

            Josh's head snaps up. "So, you don't think we've already moved pretty quickly?" he asks.

            "I mean, we used to hate each other, now look at us."

            "Well, that's not entirely true, you hated me. I never hated you," he reiterates.

            Callie shakes her head, taking a bite of her chicken.

            "You deserve a lot more than this tiny apartment," Josh says, pointing around with his fork.

              "I like my tiny apartment, and it fits when it's just Kai and I," she states, but regretting her answer the moment it leaves her mouth.

            "But it's not just you and Kaiser. He should have a yard to play in, with a dog or something, and what happens if we were to have another kid?"

            "We aren't even married or engaged," Callie looks at him, a small smile forming on her lips.

            "Yeah, but what if we did get married or something? Plus, we already have one kid, and we're not married."

             "You're just trying to corrupt me aren't you?" Callie chuckles.

            "No, I'm just trying to tell you that one day I want to be able to give you everything that you deserve."

            Callie nods, taking a few more bites before an oh familiar sound interrupts their dinner.

            "I'll get him," Callie says, standing up.

            "No, I've got him. You've been with him all day," Josh smiles, standing up as well and walking to the bedroom. "What's wrong buddy?" he asks once more, picking up out of the crib.

            "Is he okay?" Callie asks, stepping into the bedroom as well.

            "Well, he stopped crying," he nods.

            "What's wrong baby?"

            The little boy immediately reaching over for Callie.

            "He loves you so much," Josh notes, handing Kaiser over to her.

            Callie plants a kiss on his small cheek. "No, it's just daddy is ugly right?" she says, attacking him with kisses. Kaiser erupting in giggles.

            "Well, he better hope not since he looks like me."

            "No, your daddy is handsome."

            "And your mom is the most gorgeous woman in the world."

            Callie grins from ear to ear, walking out of the bedroom, Josh trailing behind her.

            "So, when are we going to Michigan?" she asks, sitting back down to eat with Kaiser in her lap.

            "At the end of the week."

            "I'm nervous."

            "You have no reason to be. They'll love you both."

             "But, what if they don't?" Callie asks concerned.

            "Callie, you are the best thing that has happened or could ever have happened to me. Trust me, they'll love you."

            She sighs a little, kissing Josh a few times. Kaiser watching them. His little hands come together, clapping and a quiet noise escapes his mouth.

            "Did he just say mom?" Josh asks surprised.

            "I think he did."

            "He said his first word," Josh smiles.

            "And just say mommy, not daddy," Callie teases.

            "Now say daddy."

            "No, just momma," Callie says. Kaiser continuing to say mommy.

            "Geez, what a momma's boy."

            "That's right," she nods.