Chapter 66: Promises

The airport comes into view, pushing past the horizon as Callie immediately bursts into tears. The truth finally hitting her which is telling her fiancé bye for the next eight months. She fails at hiding her tears, sniffling loud to give herself away. A hand slides on her thigh, letting her know he's not gone just yet.

            "Babe, please don't cry," Josh sighs, shifting the car into park.

            "I can't help it," she manages to breathe out, wiping her eyes.

            Josh gazes back at Kaiser, fast asleep in his car seat before looking back over at Callie. He reaches over, sliding his hand under her chin and turning her face to him. Their eyes lock as he leans in, kissing her firmly on the lips before pulling away.

            "I don't like it when you cry," he says softly, wiping her eyes with his thumbs. He then leans in and kisses her forehead, "come on."

            Walking through the airport and past airport security, the family of three walk to the gate where Josh will be boarding his flight soon. Callie sees all the people. The place packed with other soldiers coming and going. The little family of three get as far as they can, getting ready to tell Josh goodbye.

            "Come here buddy," Josh says, taking Kaiser out of Callie's arms. The waterworks already flooding Callie's eyes. "You take care of mommy okay?" Josh says through choked words, kissing his son on the forehead.

            "K," is all that comes out of Kaiser's mouth. Josh kissing his cheek.

            "Listen to me okay?" Josh turns to Callie.

             Callie wipes her eyes. "Okay," he says softly.

             "I'm gonna tell you all of this and I want you to retain all this while I'm gone okay?" Josh smiles softly.

            "What are you trying to say?"

            "I got you this," Josh says, pulling out a Tiffany & Co. box, opening it.

            Callie sees the small white gold ring and diamonds. "Babe," she says in awe, more tears as she sees the name of Kaiser and Josh engraved inside the ring.

             "I'm going to make you some promises before I get on that plane and leave for eight months."

             "Okay," Callie sniffles.

             Josh pops the ring out of the box, sliding it on her right-hand ring finger, opposite of her engagement ring. "I promise that when I get back, we'll start your over the top, cliché Netflix shows that I will probably end up getting hooked on and skipping ahead. But I won't spoil anything for you. I promise to keep my phone screen face up when I return and without a password because I really have nothing to hide. I promise to continue to show you off, no matter where we are and who we're with.

            "I promise to continue doing the things that I did to win your heart. I will never treat you like a cliché and I will never expect you to do anything just because you're a woman. I promise that every time we get in an argument, I'll order us pizza from your favorite pizzeria down the street and that I will remember your coffee order and when you drink too much alcohol the night before, I'll bring your coffee to your bedside even though I can guarantee you I'll be hungover too."

            Callie continues to listen to him, her eyes continuing to fill with tears. An occasional laugh from time to time.

            "I promise we won't give into the same old boring routine and I promise always to keep our relationship fun. I promise I will fight for you always. I will make it important to earn and keep your trust. Marilyn Monroe was wrong, but I promise I won't stop caring about you when you're at your worst, and I'll always work to bring out your beset. I will continue to call when I say I'm going to call. I will ask you to let me know that you've gotten home safe. I will always reply to your texts because I'd want you to reply mine. My phone game is strong," Josh laughs.

             "I promise to let the past be the past, and I will not ask about your ex even though he was pscyho and I will not talk about mine unless you ask," winking at Callie. "I promise not to judge you for never saying stop when I'm pouring your glass of wine. I promise that when I return home, I will continue not just to tolerate your family, but I will continue to make an effort to know your parents, siblings, and cousins more because anything that is important to you is important to me. Fried chicken," Josh laughs, "I will make it, and you will eat and love it. Also, vodka tonics because my vodka tonic game is strong also. Nearly as strong as my phone game.

             "I promise I will do anything I can not to be a typical guy. I'm as bored with those stereotypes as you are and lastly, I promise if you're sick, I will go to that Italian restaurant you like and pick up some soup for you and I won't even be annoyed when you tell me you feel awful a hundred times a day. I know you feel awful, I've been sick too. I promise to continue to love you each and every day that I'm gone, and I promise to also come back home to you," leaning down and kissing her softly on the lips.

             "Now boarding," Josh and Callie hear the voice over the intercom.

             "I love you okay?" Josh looks at Callie.

             "I love you too, be safe," as she kisses him softly, taking Kaiser out of his arms.

            Planting a kiss on her forehead, then Kaiser's as he bends down and picks up his bag as he backs away, walking to the gate.

            As Callie drives home, a few tears leaving her eyes, she looks back at Kaiser kicking and flailing his arms and talking. She continues to drive back to the house, already missing Josh. Twenty-five minutes later, Callie's phone rings as she hits a button, connecting to the Bluetooth.

            "Hey mom," Callie manages to speak.

             "Hey honey, how did it go? Are you on your way home?"

             "Yeah I'm about forty-five minutes away and it was what I expected. We talked, both cried. He gave me a stunning ring with his name and Kai's name engraved on the inside, and we cried some more and then he left."

            "Well, you two get home safely and you call me when you get home okay?"

            "Okay," Callie says.

            "Love you honey. Give my grandkid a hug and a kiss from his Nana and Papaw."

            "Okay," Callie laughs. The two get off the phone.