Chapter 11: Unfamiliar Grounds

"How was your test?" Josh asks once Callie steps out of the building and walks closer to him.

            "It was hard but I'm pretty confident I got an A," Callie smiles.

            "Yup, I would assume," he says, climbing on his Ducati, grabbing the extra helmet. Callie gives in, sliding on the helmet. "Just relax and put your arms around me," he instructs as he starts the bike. Callie obeys. The motorcycle roaring with life.

            As they drive away from the school, Callie feels guilty. Skipping school, she's never done before. But Callie not having felt this free in years. The two climb off the bike after parking in front of an apartment complex. Callie follows tightly behind Josh as they enter through a paint chipped door. The number 5E in gold metal in the middle of the door. Her eyes immediately scan over the two bedrooms and the small living room along with the kitchenette. Crossing her arms, she watches Josh shrug his jacket off.

            "Do you want anything to drink?" Josh offers.

            "No thank you," she smiles, walking over to the couch and taking a seat.

            Josh disappears into the kitchen only to emerge two minutes later with two bottles of water. He sits down, setting one of the bottles down on the coffee table, opening the other for himself.

            "So, Texas huh?"

            "Yeah, Texas," Callie says back.

            "I had a scholarship to Michigan," Josh says, taking a sip of his water.

            "You had?" Callie looks over curiously.

            "Yeah, for football. But the school took it back after I got into a fight and got kicked out," Josh nods.

            Callie watches him, not knowing what to say, It's an awkward silence at first.

            "So, what do you want to go to school for?"

            "I want to be a Physical Therapist," she answers. "What about you?"

            He takes another sip of his water, shrugging his shoulders. "I don't know. I want to help people but I might enlist after graduation."

            "Military huh?"

            "Yeah, I mean they'll pay for me to go to college after and it's good experience. Plus, I've always liked helping other people and I'd like to serve my country," Josh answers.

            "Well, I think you should pursue it if it's something you're passionate about," Callie picks up the water bottle and taking a sip.

           "Yeah, I think I will," Josh says softly. He leans in closer, pressing his lips to hers

            Callie's hands find their way to his cheek, surprising herself and kissing him harder. She can't stop as she feels his arms slide around her waist and feeling his other hand on her hip. Josh pulls Callie tighter against him as they continue to kiss. Next thing she knows, she feels Josh's lips on her neck, and can't help but wonder if she should stop him or let him keep going. Another thought crossing her mind, sliding her hands down on his chest.

            "Do you want to go to my room?" Josh pulls away, looking at her.

            "Yeah sure," Callie says.

            Hand in hand, Callie and Josh walk back into the bedroom and sit down on his bed. Josh slides his hand on Callie's neck, he begins kissing her. Josh's hands find his way up her shirt and lifting it up slowly. Once voice screaming at her to stop and the other telling her to keep going. Callie surprising herself, helping Josh with his shirt and tossing it on the floor. Her eyes scan over the tattoos over his chest and sides, noticing one on his muscular back. Her finger tracing over the ink in the middle of his arm.

            "Josh," she says, feeling his lips move to her neck, sliding her hands on his chest.

            "Mm, what?" Josh pulls away, his eyes meeting hers and sliding his hands on her jeans.

            "I'm sorry, I can't," Callie shakes her head, swallowing hard to get the lump out of her throat.

            "Why? Did I do something wrong?"

            "No, you didn't do anything. I'm...I got to go," she says stuttering a little.

            "Okay, well let me give you a ride at least," he suggests.

            "It's okay. I can get a ride," she stands up, fixing her shirt.

            "We don't have to do anything. We can just hang out if you want," Josh tries to get her to stay.

            "I have a ton of homework. I'm sorry," she grabs her phone and bag.

            "No, it's okay I understand."

            "I'll see you tomorrow."

            "Uh yeah, I'll see you then," he says disappointedly.

            Callie walks out of the little apartment, thinking she is such an idiot for stopping him. Courtney picks her up and takes her back to her car.

            "Callie, what are you thinking?" Courtney asks once they are in the school parking lot.

            "What are you talking about?"

            "Skipping school? Hanging out with that loser? He's nothing but trouble," Courtney scowls.

            "He's not a loser," Callie says defensively.

              "Yeah, he is. You can do a lot better."

            Callie heads home, not giving her friend another thought. She replays in her mind again what she and Josh were doing. She regrets two things, stopping Josh and calling Courtney for a ride.