Chapter 34: Confrontation

A loud ding catches Josh's attention as he looks over at his phone. A message from an unfamiliar number flashing on the screen.

            "Hey, this is Hannah. Callie's friend. She had the baby. He's in the NICU. She's doing okay. I figured I would let you know."

            Getting up frantically, practically running out of his place, Josh rushes to the hospital. He arrives at the birthing section of the hospital, rushing to the front desk.

            "Is there a Callie Jacobs in here? She just gave birth?"

            "Okay Josh, may I ask who you are and your relationship with Miss. Jacobs?"

            "I'm the dad," Josh answers. "Callie's my girlfriend," he says a little hesitant.

            "Well, I'm sorry sir, but I can't let you in to see him because there is no father listed on the birth certificate," the nurse says back, looking up from her computer.

             "Okay. Can you at least tell me if the baby is going to be okay?" Josh asks, slightly scared.

            "Yes, they are both fine. That's all the info I can really give you."

            "Can I see Callie?" he asks.

            "Of course, go down the hall. She's in room 214 on your left-hand side."

            "Thank you," Josh turns and walks down the hall, stepping into Callie's room. His eyes fall on the oxygen mask on her face, an IV in her arm and a heart monitor clip on her finger. He takes a deep breath, running a hand through his hair and grabbing a chair. He watches her, moving her hair out of her face. Josh reaches down, sliding his hand in hers, softly kissing the back of her hand whispering against it, tearing up a little. "I'm so sorry," he says, setting her hand back on the bed. Hannah walks into the room. Before Hannah can say any, she hears Josh. "Thank you."

            "No problem," Hannah nods her head. "She doesn't know I texted you."

             "I know I screwed up. I know that it was a huge mistake and I'm going to do everything in my power to fix it," Josh says.

            "Well, hopefully she lets you. I know what you said to her," Hannah says, crossing her arms and leaning against the wall.

            "Yeah I was dick, and I have no excuse for it," he says, nodding his head and looking back at Callie sleeping. Hannah walks out.

            A little while later, Josh's quietness with Callie is interrupted as her parents walk through the door.

            "What are you doing here?" her mother asks, walking in.

            "I'm here to see Callie and my son."

            "You shouldn't be here," Callie's father says.

            "And why shouldn't I be here Stan? Because you guys don't want me to be? Well, newsflash, I'm the father of your grandson whether you like it or not. I'm in his life for the next eighteen years," Josh stands up, "get over it," he says walking out of the room. Josh finds himself in the hospital cafeteria, getting water to calm down before going back into the room.