Chapter 40

(Flashback)

"Something isn't right". Erwin said as he sat with Levi, just moments before the operation would commence.

"About what?". Levi asked.

"Those soldiers....I've never seen them in my life". Erwin said as he eyed the new soldiers who were inspecting their gear. "Sure, I've received documents that does prove that they are apart of the Survey Corps, but I've never seen them in action until this expedition".

"So you're suspicious about them?". Levi asked.

"Exactly". Erwin said. "These documents that I've received, and those soldiers....They suddenly came out of nowhere, without any form of prior knowledge". Erwin said. "I feel that the government must've had something to do with it, maybe these soldiers aren't what we think they are".

Levi slowly nodded as he inspected the new soldiers from a distance, his glance then turned towards Erwin.

"How many do you count?". Levi asked.

"Forty-Eight". Erwin said. "They're large numbers doesn't add up either, how could I have possibly missed Forty-Eight soldiers? This doesn't make any sense".

"I get your point". Levi said. "You called me here for a reason, what are you planning exactly?".

Erwin pondered for a moment, then he looked at Levi. "I already have a plan in mind, but I needed to tell you something quickly, before the operation begins". Erwin said. "Levi, if there would be a possibility that I would require you to get out of Ragako Village towards somewhere else, then I will only send our most trusted soldiers".

"Who are they?". Levi asked.

"They are the soldiers who are specifically under our command: Connie Springer, Sasha Braus and Armin Arlert. We have our comrades as well, such as Mike and Hange". Erwin said. "Mikasa, Eren and Annie will be needed on the battlefield, I'm still highly suspicious of Jean so I wouldn't send him for anything".

"I see". Levi said. "So if anyone were to escort me out of Ragako, it would be only either of these you mentioned?". He said.

"Precisely". Erwin said.

Levi nodded in understanding. "That clears things up, but there is a question you still haven't answered". Levi said. "Given that these forty-eight soldiers might be fakers, what will you do exactly?".

Erwin looked at Annie who was conversing with Armin.

"Something....that might possibly cost a lot of lives".

(End of Flashback)

"Who the hell are you and what do you want?". Levi said as he eyed the mysterious soldiers suspiciously.

"We are here, per Erwin Smith's commands". The unknown soldier said as he coldly gazed at humanity's strongest soldier. "We are to escort you out of Ragako and bring you back to the walls, the operation is currently going downhill and Erwin needed to make sure that you are safe".

Luis furrowed his eyebrows. "Bring us back to the walls?". He thought to himself. "But the walls were the place that me and Levi were supposed to avoid to begin with! Why would he order us to go back there?".

Levi scoffed as he hardened his gaze towards these men. "That's gotta be the biggest load of bullcrap I've heard today". He said. "What the hell do you want from me? From us?".