Chapter 22

"Remember our agreement Jean". Liam said as he sat before Jean in the cart. "While I appreciate all of the valuable information that you told me, you will be serving as a spy for the government to give us any new information about Erwin and his plans". He said.

"And how will I do that?". Jean said in a defeated tone.

Liam looked at him. "We'll have a certain man meet you during the night, do you see that place that we are currently passing by?". Liam said as he pointed towards the window.

Jean turned his attention towards where Liam was pointing, it was a well-known diner in Stohess that mainly served beverages and exquisite food. The rich and Military Police were the only ones capable of affording its expensive prices.

"That place?". Jean asked. "And how can you be sure that this place would be open?". He continued.

"Trust me, that place is always open, because neither the rich nor the Military Police sleep during night". Liam said. "If they would sleep, that would mean they would miss out on the fun they could have: drinking wine, meeting women....".

"While the weak and the poor get the short end of the stick". Jean spat. "You people sicken me".

"Careful with your language with me, Mr. Kirstein". Liam said. "You know what is at stake here right?".

Jean narrowed his eyes at the man who sat before him, but he gave an aggravated sigh because he knew that he was powerless before him.

....Was that how Annie felt?

The cart finally came to a stop and Jean looked out at the window, they finally reached their destination.

"This is where Erwin's office lies in Stohess, I would assume?". Liam asked.

"...Yeah, this is it". Jean said as he kept looking at the building.

"Then this is where we would part ways, Mr. Kirstein". Liam said as he pulled out a cigarette. "Just remember, if you hold your part of the deal; I will hold mine as well. Act as a spy for me and no harm shall be done to your parents, and most important of all; do not be caught".

Jean didn't respond to the man, but instead; he silently nodded to what he said.

He exited the cart and walked towards the building, he had to report to Erwin that nothing bad happened to him for the sake of not raising his suspicions.

But then again, the Commander was no fool, and Jean knew that one way or the other; he was going to be discovered.

But for how long will he be able to maintain his identity as a spy?

Only time can truly tell.

(....)

This was the first time in awhile that Annie was able to fall asleep in peace, the thoughts of her own sins and burden were pushed to the back of her mind as she fell under the spell of Armin's comforting presence.

For some reason, she felt relieved. She no longer had to channel all of that pain in her and nor did she have to silently keep to herself the burden of her own sins, when she poured all of her grief and sorrow into the Arlert boy; an unfamiliar yet welcoming sense of relief washed over her.

Armin did so much for her, she wondered if she'll ever be able to repay all of the goodness and kindness that he has given her.

It still made her feel guilty, despite the fact that Armin knew that she was the indirect murderer of his own grandfather; he chose not to dwell in bitterness and revenge and simply chose to forgive her.

It wasn't out of pity, as he has said, it was because he still saw good in her.

Because he loved her.

Those very words came as a shock to the Leonhart girl. How can he still see good in her, let alone love her, after he knew all of the things that she did?

The boy did indeed have a pure heart.

Her sleep was brought to an abrupt end when someone knocked on the iron bars of her own cell, Annie lifted her eyes to see that Levi, Hanji, and the rest of Armin's friends were all there.

"Wake up, murderer". Levi said as he coldly stared towards her. "It's a new day".

Annie got off her bed, but she noticed that she was covered with a bed cover. She also noticed that she was sleeping over a pillow the entire time, a good pillow nonetheless.

Annie was confused, didn't she fell asleep in Armin's arms?

"Sorry if you became confused, Annie". She heard Armin say as he was outside of the cell. "I didn't want to bother your sleep, so I decided to make your sleep as comfortable as possible". He continued.

Oh, that was why.

Levi shrugged. "Not like I care, we came here to continue yesterday's interrogation". Levi said. "Your friend Jean is here with us this time, don't worry; we've filled him up on everything's that happened so far".

Just on que, Jean arrived as he stepped down the stairs. His eyes met all of his friends' and he waved towards them. "Hey guys". He said.

Armin's eyes drifted to meet Jean's brown ones, he felt himself become relieved at the fact that his friend was alright after all.

Hanji cleared her throat in a bid to break the long-endured silence. "Okaaaay! I think we should really start continuing from where we last left off!". Hanji said as she looked at the female shifter. "So if I recall correctly; Reiner is the Colossus Titan and Bertholdt is the Armored Titan?".

Annie saw Eren stiffen at the mention of her former comrades' names, she saw his face produce a mix of rage and sorrow after he knew that the very person he looked up to, Reiner, was the perpetrator of his own mother's death.

The feeling was mutual between all of his friends, even Armin. No one ever knew that the person who they would call a "big brother" would turn out to be the one responsible for the worst tragedy their people suffered.

"...Yes". Annie answered as she looked up at Hanji.

"Alright! Now since you confirmed to us their identities as the Armored and Colossus Titans, let me ask you this question". Hanji said. "Did you have any form of contact with them? Did you ever discuss with them any kind of plans? Strategies?".

Annie squinted her eyes in a bid to remember anything that she discussed with her former comrades, and her eyes widened.

"We did". Annie said. "We were going to discuss our next step in order to capture the...the Founding Titan". Annie said as she spared a wary glance towards Eren. "We were supposed to meet at a certain place within Wall Rose tomorrow before sunrise, there we would make our way to our war chief in order to discuss what to do next".

Levi stepped in. "And that war chief is the inheritor of the....what the hell do you call it? The Beast Titan?". Levi asked.

"Exactly". Annie answered.

"Care to give us a name?". Levi asked.

Annie knew that the next thing that she was going to say will provide a shock to everyone who was in this room.

But she had no choice in that matter, she had to answer his question right?

After all, they all deserved to know.

Annie took in a deep breath and she sighed. "Zeke". She said. "His name is Zeke Jaeger".