Chapter 15

They both sat in silence, neither of them attempted to say a word to the other, they were too indulged by their own thoughts after all.

Armin was able to observe her face for a split-second, he was able to see how mentally exhausted she was and how hurt she felt. Armin felt pity form in his heart when he looked at how devastated she was, he did want to do something to comfort her but he knew that he had to maintain a respectful distance, she was still grieving after all.

The best thing he thought he could do, however; was accompany her to make her feel "less alone".

Armin thought about the burden that she had to carry, how can someone be so strong to carry that amount of burden? How can someone be so strong to continue living, knowing that they were responsible for the deaths of comrades? Knowing that their hands are full of blood?

Armin didn't know what would she do after her father's "death", she looked like as if she thought that she had nothing worth fighting for anymore, her eyes showed how empty she felt and that scared Armin.

That scared him for her sake.

Alas, the girl lifted her head and made contact with his eyes. Blue oceanic eyes met each other, but one's eyes lacked the light to continue moving forward.

"Why?". Is all what came out of her mouth.

Armin rose his eyebrows in confusion. "I...I don't understand?". Armin asked.

Annie frowned in frustration. "Don't act stupid, you know what I mean". She said. "Why do you concern yourself so much with me? After knowing that I was the beast that killed your comrades?".

Armin felt surprised at that sudden question, but his face softened as he looked at the caged girl. "A-Annie....I think I can understand why you did those things". Armin said. "I don't know if I'd ever have the courage to choose between innocent people or my family, if they were alive that is. You did horrible things, but it's not like you did those things out of your own free will". Armin said.

"Like it excuses all of my actions". Annie spat. "What about the daughters and sons that I killed? The brothers and sisters that I slaughtered? What do you have to say about that?".

"I'm not saying it excuses the things you did, but all what I'm trying to say is that you aren't a monster or a devil". Armin said. "Annie, if you had a choice, then would you have chosen to complete this....this "mission"?". Armin asked.

"What're you trying to say?". Annie said. "Are you implying that you can forgive me? After all of the things I've done?". Annie asked.

"Yes, yes I do". Armin said. "The others won't forgive you, and I can understand their reasoning.....But I believe that some people deserve second chances". He said. "Annie, you didn't want to do this but you didn't have a choice, that's enough reason for me to give you a second chance".

Annie's eyes slightly widened in shock, but then she furiously shook her head. "You're a fool, an idealistic fool Arlert". Annie spat. "You don't even know half of the other horrible things that I did, what makes you so sure that I deserve your compassion?". Annie said.

"I'm sure because I know that you're a good person, at least to me". Armin said. "It's true, you did irredeemable things, but I believe that you can redeem yourself.". Armin said. "I...I don't mean to be disrespectful Annie, but it's what your father would've wanted right? To seek redemption?".

"Stop being so kind to me, damn you". Annie thought to herself. "I don't deserve your mercy, I don't deserve your damn sympathies!".

A moment of silence passed until Annie began to speak once again.