Chapter 12

Annie was lost in this pitch black world, there was nothing to show her a way out of this void, no light came to guide her and she had nothing to fend for herself.

It would be a lie, however; to say that she was alone.

Voices of the dead echoed throughout the empty, dark land. They were echoing with curses and mockeries aimed towards her, for everything that she did against them.

She was able to see them, all of them. They were all mangled beyond human comprehension because she killed them in various ways.

All of her victims looked at her with either contempt or satisfaction, they were satisfied that she was suffering, that she was going through tenfold the pain they went through.

"Stop....". Annie begged, she wasn't able to hold that burden anymore.

She sat in the farthest corner and she brought her knees closer to her, she tried to block their voices by placing both of her hands over her ears firmly, but it was futile.

Their voices were growing, more angry spirits started to come and mock her like how all the others did.

How many did she kill?

They kept shouting at her and they kept mocking her, for all of the pain she caused.

They weren't stopping, they don't want to stop, it was as if they would keep torturing her until the day she dies.

"Please stop....". Annie begged again, her firm grip getting more tight over her ears, as if it will block the voices out. Her tears were flowing from her eyes like a river stream, tears of regret and despair.

But they didn't relent, they were determined to make her life a living hell, even more voices began to appear and they kept mocking and cursing her.

Annie didn't want to look at them in the eyes, she didn't have the courage to face all of her victims, the ones she killed either directly or indirectly.

All of them were soldiers and citizens, soldiers she killed by her own hands in the forest, and citizens who were killed in the day Wall Maria fell.

They were fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters. They all looked at her with furious eyes as they all demanded why they've been all killed unjustly that day, and why did they deserve that death.

But Annie gave no answer, only pleas for forgiveness and mercy.

They were aggravated even further, how dare she ask for forgiveness after all of the things she did?

"I'm sorry". Annie said, her tears still rolling down her cheeks. "Please....I'm sorry".

They still kept their onslaught of mockeries and curses, they didn't stop but Annie knew that they were justified in their anger.

"Please....I'm sorry". Annie begged again, but she knew that her pleas for forgiveness would be futile.

"Anyone....Please".

"Help me...".

(....)

Annie jolted out of her bed, her breathing was so rapid; it was as if her heart was going to burst out of her chest.

Her hands were slightly shaking and she was sweating profusely, she was looking left and right to make sure that the angry spirits weren't there anymore, that they have disappeared.

But all what she saw was a dirty dungeon.

Annie then observed where she was placed. She was chained to a bed, both of her arms were chained so they would prevent her from escaping. Annie slightly panicked as she didn't know how she was captured to begin with.

Then it all came back to her.

The Marleyan man, the letter, her father....

Annie tried to vehemently deny her father's apparent fate, but she knew that she was grasping at straws because it was the truth.

The handwriting of that letter belonged to her father, the way it was written clearly showed that it belonged to her father, and the one who delivered it was an old friend of her father.

All of these evidences supported the grim truth, her father died.

No...he didn't die, he was turned into a Titan.

Annie trembled at the thought of her adoptive father's Titan form, she imagined how terrified he would've been before he was forced to become a Titan, and the thought of her father not having any control over his actions sent terrible shivers down her spine.

In a way, her father would be awake, but he wasn't alive.

She felt a tremendous amount of pain, it far exceeded her guilt due to her responsibility of killing Marco and the countless other people of the expedition and Wall Maria, this was a new kind of pain.

It was the pain of loss.

This was a new kind of pain to her, it was like a knife being buried deep into her chest as it twisted itself viciously in her heart. It was the kind of pain that even left her soul aching.

She sacrificed everything that she had: her innocence, her humanity, her own life, she had offered blood, sweat and tears and broken bones and she fought viciously so she can return to her father's embrace.

But the Marleyan government snuffed him out, because he was something expendable to them.

It was as if the world was giving her deserved punishment, she took away loved ones so the world took away her father.

One of the very few people who genuinely cared for her, the world took him away.

Silent tears escaped from her eyes once more as her body shook terribly from grief.

This pain was just too much to handle.

And for what seemed like hours, she began crying openly to herself as her heart dared to ache for a form of comfort.

 Because all of her sacrifices were in vain, because she wasn't able to do anything about it.

(....)

Luis and Armin were able to hear the heart-wrenching cries that came from the dungeon as they stood in front of the its gates, Armin was about to head inside and comfort the poor girl, but Luis placed a firm hand over his shoulder.

"Let her be". Luis said. "Let her mourn her loss, our presence is not needed".

Armin looked up at the man, then he looked at the dungeon's gates. He sighed to himself and he stood beside Luis once more, as a guard of the gate.

Armin was familiar with the pain of loss, he didn't want anyone to go through it, not even his worst enemies.

Although the urge to go and comfort Annie was great, Luis was right.

Let her mourn her loss in solitude.