Chapter 17

"What the hell do you want from me?". Jean asked as he was led by the Military Police under the command of a government official.

"I reassure you Mr. Kirstein, nothing bad is going to happen to you". The government official, Liam, said. "We are just going to have a simple talk before we clear you, you wouldn't mind that would you?". He asked.

Jean remained silent, since there wasn't an answer he can give to the government official.

Something felt wrong to Jean, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Besides, Jean should've expected that they would ask him the same way they did to Erwin after the Leonhart girl was captured.

But Jean couldn't help but feel his stomach twist in anxiety, as if he was expecting something bad to befall him.

"You're being too paranoid Jean". He thought to himself. "Just calm down, nothing is going to happen to you....".

Liam stopped in front of a door and he opened it, revealing a well-decorated room that had a table in its center.

Jean felt slightly surprised at how decorated the room was, but he should've expected such a thing after all if it belonged to a government official.

"Men, remain outside. Leave me and the Kirstein boy in private". Liam ordered the Military Police, then he looked at Jean. "Come Jean, make yourself feel comfortable".

Liam adjusted the table's seats as Jean went inside the room, he took a moment to observe the decoration of the room and he was left feeling slightly impressed.

Although the room was well-decorated, it wasn't extravagant. It was just a nice room that had a really great smell, it was definitely better than their sweat-infested barracks.

Then again, they were military men while Liam was a government official, and government officials were treated like royalty.

Liam sat down on the chair and he settled down a tea pot in the center of the table, he gestured Jean to sit with a warm smile. "Sit Mr. Kirstein, you'll get tired if you keep standing".

Jean picked up the chair and he sat down, then he pulled himself closer to the table. "Would you like some tea?". Liam said.

Jean shook his head. "No thank you, I'm not really a big fan of tea". Jean said, Liam chuckled slightly. "Is that so? That's too bad, you are missing out on a lot". He said. "Well, is there anything else you would like to drink? Wine? Fresh Juice?".

Jean felt slightly surprised at the hospitality this government official, he was left feeling slightly embarrassed towards how he treated him earlier and Jean made a vow to treat him with the respect he deserved.

"I don't really feel like drinking anything, thank you very much". Jean said.

Liam nodded his head as he sipped his tea. "If that's what you want, then it's alright". Liam said. "Now, I have a question for you Jean, it's a very simple question so don't be afraid at all". Liam said.

Jean concentrated on Liam, waiting for him to ask him the question Liam had in mind.

"Have you ever considered living a peaceful life?". Liam asked. "I know that often those who graduate from the cadet corps choose to go to the Military Police instead of the Survey Corps to live an easy life".

Jean felt surprised at that sudden question. "Uh...Yes..I have". Jean said. "I've considered living this kind of life once".

"Well, it's not wrong for someone to seek a blessed life, especially when we're living in such a cruel world". Liam said. "But you've decided to join the Survey Corps instead, why did you decide to join the Corps instead of the Military Police?".

Jean remembered finding Marco's corpse after the end of the battle for Trost, the image of his dead friend's body never left him ever since and it completely changed Jean forever.

Why did he join the Survey Corps? He should've joined the Military Police after witnessing the Titans eating his comrades left and right, his experience in Trost should've cemented his decision to join the Military Police for an easy life, right?

Jean remembered everything that Marco told him, about how he was capable of being a great leader and he remembered all of the words that the passionate, suicidal bastard said.

Then he finally remembered why he joined the Survey Corps to begin with.

It wasn't only because of Eren's words influencing him (as much as he hated to admit it), but it was also because Marco's death changed him completely, the bones that turned to ashes would be angry against him and he felt that he'd disrespect even Marco's death, if he was ever to join the Military Police for an easy life.

That's why he joined the Survey Corps, because he didn't want to let all of his comrades' sacrifices be in vain.

"I...some things happened that made me realize how selfish I was". Jean said. "I realized that I wouldn't be able to sleep peacefully at night or have any form of peace, knowing that so many of my friends would be dedicating their hearts to a cause as glorious as the defense of humanity". Jean said. "So many of my comrades died, and I thought that the least thing I could possibly do is give meaning to the lives that they lived, to honor their last wishes". He continued. "That's....That's what my best friend would've wanted, and I couldn't see myself disrespecting either their sacrifices or their last wishes".

Liam sipped more of his tea. "Ah....I see...What a noble cause you have Mr. Kirstein, I respect you for it". Liam said. "I was going to offer you an easy life in exchange for certain things you could tell me, but I suppose you would reject that offer wouldn't you?".

Jean raised his eyebrows. "Certain things?". He asked. "What do you mean by that?".

Liam settled down his tea. "Mr. Kirstein.....I fear that you've made the wrong choice".

With the snap of his fingers, the previous Military Police guards entered the room and they aimed their firearms towards Jean.

Immediate panic settled as Jean quickly rose from his seat. "What the hell is going on?!". Jean asked. "What the hell are you planning to do with me?!".

"I know that the bastard Erwin Smith is hiding something from me, and I know that you know his secrets". Liam said in a calm tone. "If I were you, I'd settle down and surrender myself immediately".

Jean narrowed his eyes. "And what if I don't?". He said in a challenging tone.

Liam looked at Jean with a nonchalant expression.

"Don't you love your mother Jean?".