Chapter 27

"Where are they?". A voice boomed.

Within the area of the old castle, a Titan which was 15-meters tall stood. It looked liked an ape, fur covered the entirety of its body, its eyes glowed in the night as it observed the lands that surrounded it.

The Beast Titan, Zeke Jaeger, sat on the ground with a bored expression. He was patiently waiting for the warrior trio to arrive so he can discuss the new plans that he had in mind.

But they were taking so damn long!

"Maybe they lost their way?". Another voice boomed, another Titan came and it sat on the ground beside the Beast Titan. It had an abnormally long jaw and it stood on its four legs, it was called the "quadruple" (or Cart) Titan, an odd Titan indeed.

Zeke chuckled. "Why would they lose their way? They aren't stupid you know?". The Beast Titan said. 

"I know, I know". The Titan said. "But its still very odd, they should've made it here, given that they're all under Reiner of all people......". The Titan said.

The Beast Titan nodded his head as he kept looking at the shining moon, he was mesmerized by its beauty, and the stars that were scattered across the atmosphere were as beautiful as the bright moon that shone in the sky.

"How are your grandparents?". The Titan asked as it looked at the direction of Zeke. "Did the General tell you anything about them?".

Zeke looked at the Titan. "They are fine, grandfather is still suffering however....". He said with a hint of remorse in his tone. "He didn't give me the details, just told me that he was still suffering from his mental scars".

"I see.....". The Titan said. "I'm sorry that you had to hear this".

"No, it's fine....There's nothing I can truly do about it, so all what I can do is hope for the best". He said. "Tell me, how is your family back in Marley?".

"Oh, they are doing well thankfully". The Titan said.

"What about Porco?". Zeke asked.

The Titan shook its head. "I haven't told him about his brother's demise". The Titan said with remorse. "So far, only command knows, but they chose to refrain from telling him because it would further complicate things.....He's still bitter about Reiner inheriting the Colossus instead of him, so if he knew about his brother's demise, he'll absolutely lose it".

Zeke shook his head. "It'll be even more disastrous when he finds out that we've been hiding his brother's demise for this long, wouldn't it be better if he knew about it early on?". He said. "But, I suppose we should trust the Marleyan judgement, we devils have no say in whatever they think is best". He concluded with a hint of sarcasm.

The Titan gave a chuckle. "That's why some bad stuff happened for the last couple of years". The Titan said. "But they've got their heads up their arses, it shouldn't surprise us that they wouldn't consider listening to beneficial advice, especially if it's coming from Eldians like us".

The two Titan shifters spent the rest of their time in blissful silence, neither of them could truly feel the wind rushing past their Titan bodies but it still gave them some respite, some peace that they would appreciate.

"Have you heard of the purge that they did?". The Titan asked. "Thousands of Eldians who were suspected of aiding a government overthrow were rounded up and sent to paradise, even though they had family members in the warrior unit".

"Yes, I've had the unfortunate experience of knowing about such a tragedy". Zeke said. "But at least our families were spared from such things".

"Still....". The Titan spoke. "I...I can't imagine how horrible it must've been....there were innocent people....".

"It's not like we were able to do anything about it". Zeke said. "This is Marley we are talking about, they are still shaken by the attempted overthrow that happened years ago".

"But you know that nothing can justify this?". The Titan spoke.

Zeke looked at the direction of the Titan. "I know".

Suddenly, an explosion was heard from a distance. Zeke and the Titan were instantly alarmed and they looked towards the direction of that noise. In the distance, they saw a huge and ferocious lightning strike the ground, the wind blasted throughout the lands and it tore apart anything that stood in its way.

The Titan froze as it realized from where could this lightning come from. "T-That is.....".

Zeke understood what his fellow shifter was implying, but he thought otherwise. The damage that the Colossus Titan could do would be far greater than what this explosion has done.

Though he was sure of one thing.

"They are in trouble". 

(.....)

Everything seemed to move so slowly for Bertholdt, his mind failed to process everything that happened so far because of the tremendous shock that he felt.

Annie betrayed them.

She betrayed them to the people of this island.

It didn't make any sense to him! 

Didn't she know that her father would be killed for that? Didn't she know that she would jeopardize any chance that they had for going back to their hometown?

To add more to Bertholdt's horror, he saw silhouettes descending from above. They wore green capes with the symbol of the Wings of Freedom drawn on their backs.

The Survey Corps.

His blood ran cold, Annie led him and Reiner right into a trap, she helped cause their deaths!

He thought about his family back at Marley, he thought about his sick father, oh what would his sick father think? What would he do if he found out that his only son died? He would be beyond heartbroken!

No, he can't die like this! Not when he still had a promise to fulfill to his father! He still needed to see him, just one last time!

"Bertholdt!". Reiner shouted.

Reiner quickly gripped Bertholdt and he pulled the inheritor of the Armored Titan towards him, he placed his hand around his shoulders and he raised his thumb unto his teeth, Bertholdt widened his eyes in horror as he realized what Reiner was intending to do.

The last thing that Bertholdt saw, before the light completely blinded him, was the horror dawning on Annie's face as she also realized what was going to happen.