Chapter 18

Silence surrounded the room as Bertholdt sat on the chair beside his father, he kept looking at the window where the sun rays came through and it was a beautiful sight. The weather was cool and the view looked beautiful and peaceful, it would've been suitable for a walk in a garden.

But Eldians like him never really had that right.

Bertholdt wore his military Marleyan Uniform with the Eldian crest placed on the upper part of his arm. He sat on a chair right beside his father, who lied in the bed sick and frail.

No Marleyan doctor came to help his sickly father, it's not like they had the heart to help people who were "devils". Even if there was a Marleyan doctor willing to help, Marley's law forbade any professional doctor from going within Liberio to treat Eldians.

All what they had was access to basic medication, but basic medication did nothing to help his father, who was infected with an advanced disease.

That is why Bertholdt decided to join the warrior program, so he can grant his family a wealthy life and his father the treatment he deserved.

His father coughed and Bertholdt quickly grabbed the cup of water that stood beside his desk, the father grabbed it and he drank slowly from the cup.

Silence followed as neither of them said any words to each other, what was there to say after all?

"Bertholdt...son". His father said in a weak tone, Bertholdt gave him his full attention. "Father? What is it that you want from me father?".

His father looked at him and smiled weakly. "I wish I could hug you and comfort you....But I'm too weak to move my arms". He said. "I'm sorry my son....That you have to carry this burden for your family....I should've been the one who joined the warrior program instead".

Bertholdt grabbed his father's frail hand and he shook his head vehemently. "No father, none of you are a burden to me". Bertholdt said. "I love you all with everything that I have, with my heart, with my soul.....I just don't want any of you to die or suffer or-".

Bertholdt was getting emotional as he tried to resist the tears that were coming out his eyes. "I don't want you to die father". He said. "What if when I come back, you would be already dead? I'm not doing this to become a hero to Marley, I'm doing this because I want you to live". He cried. "So please father....Let me carry this burden for all of you.....Because I want you all to live happy lives".

His father smiled weakly as he also let some tears slip past his eyes. "My son...Oh my young child.....". He said.

"I'm sorry". Bertholdt said as he quickly wiped away his tears. "I shouldn't....I shouldn't show any weaknesses, a warrior mustn't show any signs of weaknesses".

His father shook his head. "Son, even if you are a warrior, don't forget who you are". His father said. "Your path...It will be filled with hardship and trials, but do you know why I see a strong man in front of me?".

"Is it....Is it because I'm the inheritor of the Armored Titan?".

His father shook his head. "Nonsense! You are strong because you are kind my son!". His father said. "You are smart, you are gentle, you are brave, and most important of all; you are a Hoover!". His father said.

Bertholdt felt encouraged by his father's words and he gave his father a teary smile, then he proceeded to hug him.

The hug was warm and for a moment; all of Bertholdt's worries washed away. Being in his Father's warm presence gave peace to Bertholdt, and he wished that this peace would never fade away.