Chapter 41

"Traut...What do we do now?". Rick, one of Traut's comrades, asked. "We lost almost all of our men, and we have no word from Adam whom you've sent. The Survey Corps, although they have also sustained heavy casualties, still have a fair number of soldiers to outnumber us".

"I know". Traut said bitterly as she looked at the corpse of her dead comrade.

The atmosphere became thick with tension because her comrades knew that Traut was beyond furious and disappointed. In such a short amount of time, they've lost a good portion of their men, and what was she to tell Kenny once they go back? What was she to tell Liam of this dismal failure?

They initially were going to take out the Survey Corps soldiers that were with them since they were Forty-Eight soldiers....But since the damned Leonhart hesitated, things only began to go downhill from there.

"We can't carry out our plan to attack anymore". Traut said bitterly as she turned to face her comrades. "We've sustained a heavy number of casualties, far too heavy for an elite unit like us....".

Her comrades were looking either on the ground or towards their dead brothers and sisters in arms, their eyes showing how frustrated and guilty they felt.

"But...Adam might've succeeded". Lila said as she looked at Traut with hopeful eyes. "We know that he never failed you whenever you made him do tasks, so maybe he succeeded in the task that you've given him".

"It's been awhile since the last I've sent him, he didn't even send me one soldier to report". Traut said. "We can only assume the worst.....I hope to God that it isn't true but it seems to be the most likely scenario...".

Silence followed after Traut's words, until Rick cleared his throat. "So what do we do now, Traut?". He asked. "We can't stay here any longer, and I fear that they may be suspecting something". He continued. "The fact that they've dropped both Levi and the outsider at Ragako isn't putting me at ease, it's as if that Erwin knew about us from the very beginning".

"Traut told us that the Kirstein boy made Erwin suspicious to begin with". Benjamin said as he kept looking on the ground. "Damn it.....Thinking about it right now....All what I was able to see in his eyes were suspicion and....and maybe even knowledge". He said. "It's...It's like he knew all along....It's just that he decided to play along so the government wouldn't easily prosecute him".

Lila slightly widened her eyes, then she silently cursed to herself. "Then what was he even planning to begin with?". She questioned. "If he was already suspicious about us from the start...Why didn't he do anything about it?".

"Enough about that". Traut ordered as she went past them. "They're all busy trying to tend to their wounded, they haven't even noticed us yet".

"So what do we do now, Captain?". Rick asked.

"We retreat". Traut said in a monotone manner as she dropped the cape of the Survey Corps. "Drop your capes but keep your gear, we will quickly get away before anyone notices us. This operation is a dismal failure, we haven't succeeded in the task that Liam had given us".

"And what about the Kirstein boy?". Rick asked.

"Forget about him, he outlived his usefulness". Traut said. "All what we needed was intel, but not even that saved us. We retreat, and we'll at least live to fight for another day".

Before Traut got on her horse, she noticed the Leonhart girl tending to both the blonde boy and the Asian girl. Her scowl deepened as her heart roared with anger and hate, and her grip tightened its hold over the straddles of the horse.

"I swear Leonhart....I'll make you pay....". Traut thought to herself, before she silently retreated with the rest of her comrades.

"I'll make you pay with your own blood, for all of our comrades that you've helped kill".