Chapter 50

"What the hell am I doing here?". The guardian grumbled to himself as he sat in front of the gates of the jail with his musket, his face showing how truly tired and annoyed he was. "Of all the times, they wake me up now?".

The dungeon was deathly silent, save for some snoring that came from the prisoners. The place reeked and some rats, alongside insects, infested the area. If the guardian didn't have a strong stomach, he knew that he would've been sick ten times over due to how filthy this dungeon was.

He did not feel like doing guard duty now, but they still demanded him to do so at the time when he was asleep. He already had a day filled with hard work, and all what he wanted is to sleep in his comfortable bed without having to worry about a single thing.

Then again, he couldn't do anything about it, he isn't supposed to defy his superiors anyway.

He heard someone clear his throat, and the man instantly widened his eyes. He looked up to see a hooded-figure, a mysterious man whose features were covered.

The man held his musket close to him and he sighed. "The hell do you want creep? It's in the middle of the night, and if you wanna see prisoners, then I'm sorry to tell you that we're closed". He grumbled.

But much to his confusion, the mysterious person pulled out a small pouch. 

The guard frowned as he eyed the mysterious person with suspicion. "And what's that supposed to be?". He said with annoyance.

The mysterious person let out a small chuckle. "If you let me see Erwin Smith, then this pouch is all yours". The mysterious person said.

The guard regarded the mysterious person with suspicion and curiosity, then he eyed the pouch. He took it from the hands of the person, and then he proceeded to slowly remove the rope that tied it. What he saw inside, after that, filled him with shock and ecstasy.

Coins, so many coins stacked together in a small pouch! It was even more than his paycheck!

The guard became thrilled about having the money, and whatever sense of responsibility was instantly ignored by him. He opened the doors of the dungeon and he gestured the man to follow him. "This never happened, are we clear?". The guard warned the mysterious person.

"Your secret is safe with me". The mysterious person said.

(.......) 

The Military Police did not treat his homecoming kindly, and now Erwin sat in the prison cell with a bruised eye as his legs were chained to the wall. 

Liam framed the man with killing his own soldiers, and causing mischief in the lands by spreading conspiracies and lies. Erwin anticipated that he would lift an accusation like that, for coming back alone to the walls was apart of his strategy, to further fuel that suspicion against him.

News of his sentencing spread like a wildfire, and his contacts should've received these news by now. All what Erwin had to do was just patiently wait for one of them to arrive so the plan would finally come in motion.

He heard someone knock on his bars, and he turned to see the source of the sudden noise. The guard looked at him with a disgusted expression as he opened the bars of his cage.

"Visitor for you, you sad bastard". The guard spat with a hint of ridicule in his tone, then a mysterious hooded person entered his prison. "You've got ten minutes you hear?". The guard said before he left them to their own devices.

The mysterious person looked to see if the guard was away, then he proceeded to remove the hood that covered his face. "Am I late, Erwin?". The man said.