Chapter 6

Luis didn't expect that kind of welcome to say the least.

Sure, he expected a certain degree of suspicion, but what he didn't expect is their ignorance about the existence of humanity beyond the walls.

Luis was genuinely shocked when he first heard of this, how can a nation believe that all what remained of humanity was within the walls? None of this made any sense to the Marleyan man and he couldn't find an answer to satisfy the apparent mystery that surrounded it.

There must a piece, something that leads to a bigger picture, maybe it has to do with their history? Or maybe it's because that they encased themselves within the walls for so long, they forgot about Humanity's existence and just deemed that the rest of the world perished by the hands of the titans?

The second point didn't make any sense, they can't simply "just forget" about Humanity's existence beyond the walls! Something must've happened to them during their history to make them ignorant of Humanity's existence!

But what was it?

A man cleared his throat and Luis instantly locked his eyes with his (the man's) blue ones, he observed the man's appearances for a moment and it only took him a second to figure out that he must've been a commander of some sorts.

The man who sat before him had blue eyes and blonde hair, and he looked like a very experienced soldier, he heard the blonde boy address him as "Commander Erwin", so was that his name?

Nevertheless, he couldn't help the feeling of anxiety as he kept thinking about what could he possibly do with him, he saw how cold and calculating the man's eyes were towards him, and Luis thought that misfortune will befall him very soon.

"So you claim that you came from beyond the walls?". The man, or Commander Erwin, asked. Luis took in a deep breath to somehow relieve himself from the tension and anxiety that built itself in his chest, then he proceeded to answer the ma-Commander Erwin's question.

"Yes, I did indeed come from beyond the walls". Luis said.

Erwin's eyes still locked into his grey ones, and Luis was able to see all of the sudden curiosity yet suspicion that aroused from them. "You also claim that you know Annie Leonhart as well?". Erwin said.

Luis slowly nodded. "Indeed, she's the daughter of a friend of mine".

Luis felt a pang of sorrow as he was reminded of his best friend, for all he knew; he's been probably turned into a mindless titan by now.....

"Have you any proof? To support your claims about your connections with Leonhart?". Erwin asked.

Luis widened his eyes for a moment and then he pulled out an envelope from his pocket, he handed it over to the commander immediately so he could see it himself.

The commander eyed the envelope carefully, then he looked back at Luis.

"Anything else?". Erwin asked.

"What else do I have?". He thought to himself, then his eyes once again widened in realization and he searched his pockets immediately.

He pulled out what looked like identification papers and a slip to pass, then he placed them at the table. Erwin observed these new objects for a moment, then he read the identification papers for himself.

The anxiety that kept pushing down on Luis's chest was slowly becoming unbearable as he carefully eyed what the Commander was doing, all what he was thinking about right now was what the commander was about to say or do to him.

Hell, would he even believe him?

"He should!". Luis thought to himself. "Don't be paranoid! He should believe you!".

Erwin placed down the identification papers and he looked straight at Luis's eyes, a moment of heavy silence passed until Erwin finally spoke.

"If you already had these strong evidences from the start, why didn't you use them when you were confronted by the soldiers?". He asked.

Luis blinked twice at the Commander, then realization hit him. Why didn't he use either of these objects to prove his honesty?

"You are right". Luis said as he sighed at his stupidity. "It never crossed my mind, I was in a frenzy. I was panicking since all of the soldiers who surrounded me had approached me with a threatening manner, so I pulled out anything that crossed my mind first and it was the envelope". He explained. "Damn it, maybe I should've thought about it a little bit more....".

Erwin remained silent for a moment, then he nodded his head in understanding.

This small, simple gesture was enough for Luis to let out a sigh of relief, the Commander did believe him.

Erwin then eyed the envelope, then he looked at Luis.

"May I open the envelope?". He asked.

Luis nodded his head, telling him that he can open the letter if he wishes to do so.

Erwin nodded in return then he peeled open the envelope, he pulled out the paper that was stored within the envelope and his eyes scanned through it.

A moment of silence passed as Erwin read the letter to himself, Luis wasn't the only one waiting with anticipation for the Commander to finish; a short man and the same blonde boy were also waiting with anticipation as well.

The Commander placed down the envelope on the table, and a heavy moment of silence passed. He didn't say anything and nor did he move a single muscle.

The short man trudged towards Erwin. "What did it say?". He asked, impatience masking his tone.

Erwin looked at his long-time comrade. "This is exactly what we needed". Erwin said. "This will be the key in capturing Leonhart, it's an extremely important asset".

"What do you mean by that?". The man asked again.

Erwin looked at the blonde boy. "Armin, assemble your friends in my office immediately, there has been a change of plans".