Chapter 29

"Bertholdt, keep moving forward". Reiner said as he stood on his neck, the grapples holding him in place. "I know it hurts Bert, I know that Annie meant a lot to you, but she's a traitor to Marley now". He continued, this time bitterness masking his tone.

Annie's betrayal still shook Bertholdt to the core, but the more he thought about it, the more it didn't make any sense to him. Annie, dedicated, tenacious Annie, betrayed them to the people of this Island. There had to be a good reason for Annie to betray them and betray the entire mission, was she forced by the Survey Corps to tell them off? What did they do to her to instantly break her? What DID they tell her?

"Our lives are worth jack to the Marleyans". He recalled what Annie told them. "What does guarantee your family's safety back at Marley?".

No, Annie was right, Betholdt knew that she was right. Their lives were nothing to the Marleyans, and their families weren't even guaranteed safety back at the Marleyan nation, no matter how hard he tried to deny this particular point, but that didn't mean that this should warrant an action as terrible as betrayal.

Granted, safety for their families wasn't completely guaranteed, but the only way to guarantee their safety was if they don't fail the mission or rebel against their Marleyan hosts.

That's why it didn't make any sense to Bertholdt, she had a father to go back to, so Annie sealed her fate AND her father's fate to something that was worse than death. Annie cared about her father a lot, so wouldn't such a rash action kill him? Didn't she know that?

He kept repeating the very words Annie spoke to them, over and over again, trying to get an answer or any clue to figure out what Annie was really planning, but all what Bertholdt met was a dead-end, and that frustrated him to no end.

What were they supposed to tell their war chief now? Their war chief wouldn't hesitate in relying a message to the Marleyan nation about her betrayal, and this terrified Bertholdt to no end.

Because he didn't want her to die.

Maybe they could convince her to join them again, if this is not even possible, then at least he could know why did she do such a thing.

There had to be a reason, Annie wouldn't just decide such a thing out of rashness or without any good reason.

"Bertholdt!". Reiner shouted at him to get his attention. "Damn it! Eren and Annie are chasing after us, and the Survey Corps are with them! Try to quicken the pace!".

This wasn't good, this wasn't good at all. Bertholdt thought that he can handle Eren, although he would prove to be a difficult fighter, but Eren AND Annie?

Bertholdt decided to push past his limits and he immediately quickened his pace, the Armored Titan was powerful but it wasn't as fast as either the Versatile Titan or Eren's Titan.

Damn it! If he was going to fight them, then he was going to lose badly, and how was he going to protect Reiner? They could easily snatch him and maybe even kill him if they had the chance, another reason for him not to engage the two shifters head-on.

Bertholdt had to quicken his pace, he had to move as fast as he could.

Because right now, in this very moment, their lives depended on it.

He heard Reiner give a frustrated sigh, then his hazel eyes meet his blue ones. "Damn it! They're getting closer!". He heard him say, Bertholdt's eyes widened when he saw Reiner unsheathe both of his swords. "At this rate, we won't be able to outrun them. Bert, listen, I can take care of Eren, he might be a good fighter but he's a rash bastard, you take care of Annie!".