Chapter 55

"Lord Sakai, there is something I never really understood". Mike asked as he rode beside the veteran Samurai. "I've heard in my entire life that those of orientalist origins were often persecuted within the walls. Rarely was an orientalist left without being killed or kidnapped so they can be sold off to the black market". He said. "How is it that your village stands until today?".

Jin sighed, ready to explain that part of their history. "One hundred years ago, when humanity fled to the walls, the orientals suffered a great deal of persecution". Jin explained. "Discriminatory narratives prevailed and people rewarded themselves for attacking our people, my ancestors almost suffered the same fate had they not sealed a deal with the government".

"And what would that deal might be, Lord Sakai?". Mike asked.

Jin looked at Mike. "They provided us protection so as long as we provided for them our services". Jin explained. "We had one of the best blacksmiths of our times, and we still do. Our fighters were also very skilled, and we offered a huge sum of money for the government". He continued. "We also helped a great deal in cultivating the economy of this island, for fifty years the people who lived within these walls were able to enjoy an easy life, thanks to the cooperation between the people of my village, Tsushima, and the people at the government". He said. 

"Yeah". Mike said in reply. "But I recall that after those fifty years, it all went south for everyone involved".

Jin nodded his head. "You are correct". Jin said. "Those bright minds that I highly spoke of either passed away or retired, and new people replaced them". Jin said. "Some of them were not as creative as the others were, the others were only ever interested in filling their own pockets". He explained. "Problems and scandals began to appear left and right, the money and the materials that were received, that were supposed to help our island, were stolen and used for selfish purposes, and as a result; the economy began to quickly stagnate". Jin said. "Our village suffered so much, our own leaders were frustrated with how we were being treated".

"And that's where you all planned a coup". Mike said.

"Precisely". Jin said, but then his face became mournful. "But the rest is history after that".

Mike sighed as he looked ahead. "We will help in restoring your village's glory, and avenge the humiliation that your people suffered". Mike said. "I know that we can do it".

"And avenge the fallen clans as well". Jin said. 

One of Mike's teammates, Nanaba, landed on the ground and greeted them both.

"Is there anything unusual?". Mike asked.

"Currently? No". Nanaba asked. "But Military Police search units were doubled, I saw a dozen from a distance just west to our position". She said.

Jin nodded his head. "Keep patrolling the area". He ordered. "We need as much information as possible should we ever prepare ourselves for an attack".

Nanaba nodded her head. "Yes, Lord Sakai". She said before she took off.

Silence fell between the two veteran soldiers until Mike eventually spoke.

"I've heard of your smuggling of weapons, Lord Sakai". Mike said. "But I've seen how much you've brought. Although I don't doubt your fighting prowess, the MPs have the edge when it comes to technology". He explained. "You have swords, bows and arrows. They have cannons, muskets and bayonets".

Jin pondered for a moment. "The muskets that the MPs use are lethal, but I'd be more worried about the user of this firearm". Jin said. "Military Police soldiers often only receive just basic training, since the majority of the soldiers of this branch spend the majority of their time gambling, drinking and adulterating". He said. "Our warriors are much more experienced in sword fighting and archery, they are also much more disciplined. However, if we don't have a proper plan then they can easily decimate us, regardless of military experience". Jin said.

Mike had an idea. "The area of your village is perfect for an ambush". Mike said. "Either we can ambush these soldiers with a volley of arrows or...".

Jin widened his eyes. "We can first confuse them with smoke, fire at them the arrows and then charge at them". Jin said. "We play with their minds first, terrify them to the point that many of them would rather retreat than fight, and then charge at them with everything we have".

"I hope it never comes to this, but seeing how much MPs are there in Wall Rose...". Mike said. "Erwin's wish of a bloodless coup may not come true".

"We have to be prepared for anything, squad leader Zacharias". Jin said. "I, too, take no pride in bloodshed, but if I must defend my people then I'll be ready to do so".

"Our feelings are mutual, Lord Sakai". Mike said.

As the silence graced them once again, Mike took a moment to observe the veteran fighter that rode beside him.

He was actually a young man, though the heavy responsibilities that his father left behind for him for his own clan, and the responsibilities that he shares with his uncle for taking care of their village as a whole, made him look like he aged many years. The one thing that caught his eye, however; was that he wasn't wearing his own father's armor.

Jin was wearing what looked like a stealth clothing, it was mostly made of leather but it had some form of light armor on Jin's vulnerable body parts. The mask, which had imitations of what seemed like a demon's teeth, was of black color like the rest of his attire.

He was told that this was the proud work of a man named Taka, his wife's brother.

A blacksmith killed for rebelling against MP orders.

"Looks like Lord Sakai went with this clothing whenever he went to smuggle some weapons". Mike thought to himself. "Then again, the amount of weapons that he was able to smuggle tells me that he didn't want to raise suspicions".

His mind then wandered towards their struggle against their own government.

"Will this actually work? Will we be able to replace the current government? Or are we going to die trying?". Mike thought to himself again. "I don't know for sure, but I know damn well that we shouldn't lay down our weapons and give up. Entire lives are hanging on this moment, we can't let it go to waste".

Gunshots suddenly ripped through the air, causing multiple birds to fly into different directions. The senses of the two soldiers screamed, causing them to suddenly become extremely alert of their surroundings. 

"A gunshot?!". Mike hissed.

Nanaba immediately returned to where Mike and Jin where. "There was a gunshot not far from here!". Nanaba said. "I couldn't risk going alone, but we should go and investigate what happened!".

"She's right". Jin said as he descended from his horse. "Leave the horses here because they will only give our position away. We will climb the trees and investigate the area, we can follow the direction opposite to that of the panicking birds to help us reach the area". He explained. "Someone could be in trouble".

"You don't have ODM gear though". Nanaba pointed out. "How are you going to climb them?".

"I can help". Mike said. "If you wouldn't mind, Lord Sakai, but I'd need to carry you in order to reach that area quickly".

"It's not fitting to be carried like this, but we have no choice". Jin said. "Let's get going!".