Chapter 11

Eren was one of the very few people who respected Annie.

She was like a mentor to him, she taught him many things that proved very useful for him during their days in the training regiment, among them being her fighting technique.

Although she was a closed off person, he didn't see her as a genuinely bad person, but rather someone who hid their emotions very well. He thought that both of them had a solid relationship of mutual respect, Eren would dare say that he even admired the stoic girl.

But when Annie was revealed to be the Versatile Titan, his entire world shook terribly.

He initially denied the fact that Annie was actually the Versatile Titan, because he didn't believe that the same person he came to admire and respect would turn out to be the murderer of every single person who died in the expedition, including Levi's squad.

But all of the evidences they had pointed towards her, the most significant evidence was when she showed her fighting technique when he fought her at the forest.

Ever since then, he began to ask himself.

Why?

What could possibly push Annie to fight the entire world? To kill and slaughter all of these soldiers like they were some puny insects?

His questions were finally answered when that Marleyan man made his appearance.

Eren saw Annie in a completely different light after that previous night, of course; he knew that even though she had a troubled past, that didn't mean that this would excuse her crimes against his people.

He still even found it hard to forgive Annie for everything that she did, for killing the Levi Squad and all of the other soldiers during the expedition.....

But it would be a lie to say that Eren didn't feel compassion for her.

Aside from learning about Annie's troubled past, that previous night also rose many important questions that could change his entire outlook of the world, the most prominent question being the true origins of the Titans

If her father was going to be turned into a "Titan", then what does that speak about the rest of the Titans they killed so far? Where they once humans too?

Regardless, Erwin dismissed these questions for now, saying that these questions will be dealt with at a "more appropriate time" (Since they still had to deal with Annie first, and they had to secure the Survey Corps' custody over him).

It did frustrate Eren, he wanted answers immediately but he figured that he wouldn't be able to do anything about it either way.

Armin and that Marleyan man have taken quite some time now while Eren and Mikasa were waiting for them, it wouldn't be long until Jean's disguise is discovered and the government figures out that Eren is hiding (more like assisting in a highly dangerous mission).

They didn't have much time left, and Eren was beginning to be impatient, what was taking them so long?

"Damn it, where the hell are they?". Eren hissed, his feet rapidly tapping on the ground. "We don't have much time left, any moment and that horse-faced bastard would get exposed and the government would be on us!".

"Be patient, Eren". Mikasa lightly scolded. "Armin knows what he's doing, Commander Erwin can buy us more time if it would ever come to this". Mikasa said.

"I know, but that doesn't mean that we're gonna have all the time in the world! How can anyone be stupid enough to fall for Jean's costume?!". Eren said. "I mean, come on Mikasa, is there any resemblance between me and Jean?".

Mikasa looked at Eren, and then she looked at the busy streets. "There is some kind of resemblance between you both, at least it's enough to fool the government for now".

"What?!". Eren exclaimed, feeling slightly offended at what Mikasa said.

A moment of silence passed as both Mikasa and Eren waited for Armin and the Marleyan man (Luis? Was that his name?) to come with Annie. Eren began to feel bored and he began to fiddle with his cape, as if it'll somehow alleviate his boredom.

"Hey, while they're still fetching Annie, wanna play some rock, paper, scissors?". Eren asked.

Mikasa was slightly surprised at the suggestion that Eren gave her, but she shook her head. "We can't, we need to keep our guard up for anything". She said.

She saw Eren's face shift into disappointment, she knew that he wasn't thrilled about having to stand and wait because he was always that energetic.

She sighed and she gave a small smile to Eren. "Maybe next time?". She asked, Eren looked up to her and he sighed. "Yeah, yeah....maybe". He said.

Mikasa noticed two figures running towards them, one who was wearing the Survey Corps cape and another person who was wearing a long coat.

However, what caught her attention was the person that the Survey Corps soldier was carrying.

The figures began to get closer to them and Mikasa was able to get a better view of their appearances, she squinted her eyes to try to get a closer look ,and alas; she instantly recognized them.

It was Armin and Luis, and Armin was carrying Annie in bridal style.

"Eren". Mikasa nudged Eren's shoulders and she pointed towards the direction of Armin and Luis. Eren followed the direction her finger was pointing at, then he widened his eyes when he instantly recognized the incoming figures as well. "Armin?! Hold on....He's carrying Annie!". Eren exclaimed.

Luis and Armin were finally able to reach Mikasa and Eren, they both panted to catch their breath again. Eren approached Armin and he noticed the unconscious Annie who lied between Armin's arms.

"What the hell happened to her?!". Eren asked, worry grasping his heart at the thought of something bad happening to the Titan shifter.

"She just passed out from shock, she took the message that bad". Luis said as he spared a glance of pity towards the unconscious girl. "What matters the most is that we are done, we've captured Annie". He continued.

"Eren, Armin, Luis, take Annie to the underground". Mikasa said. "I'll go and tell Commander Erwin about our success".

Before Mikasa left, she spared one last glance to her long-time friends.

"Be careful".