Chapter 10

The world held many secrets, sometimes even shocking revelations. Annie was always observant of everything that surrounded her, but she never knew nor will she ever understand how this world operates.

It's simply full of surprises, both good and bad, cruel and graceful. Hell, "Surprises" isn't really the right word that Annie would like to use, more like "Mind-boggling things that can never be explained properly".

Here she was, staring into the grey eyes of the man who claims to know her father, he claims that he has a message from her father and for some reason, he was oddly familiar to Annie.

Who was that man? Did she see him before?

The man, "Luis", seemed to notice the look of suspicion that aroused from Annie, then he cleared his throat. "This might help you remember me....I came over your father's house once for some tea when you were enduring your harsh training". Luis said. "Your father once called you to greet me, and you came and greeted me with an emotionless face", He said as he chuckled in an attempt to somehow ease the tension.

Annie remembered now.

She remembered staring into the grey eyes of the man as she greeted him with a monotone "hello", and she does remember the man smiling warmly towards her; trying to show that he was a friendly man who she can trust.

Yes, this man, this high-ranking Marleyan Officer.

Luis Hartmann.

By the looks that Armin gave her, he must've known about his true identity, meaning that her identity as the Versatile Titan has been exposed.

Not by the brilliant mind of Armin Arlert, but by a Marelyan Officer.

A Marleyan Officer.

She gritted her teeth and she narrowed her eyes in anger, doesn't that man realize that what he did placed her and her entire team in jeopardy? Her chances of going back to her father have been made even more slim thanks to that damned buffoon.

And besides, he was a Marleyan, and she never had a good experience with the Marleyan people. Why would a Marleyan Officer risk his life to deliver a so-called "message" from her father? She knew for sure that not ONE Marleyan would risk his or her life for an "Eldian devil".

The aura of hostility and suspicion that Annie emitted caused Armin and Luis to slightly panic, they knew that if they did one wrong move then everything will end badly. Luis quickly fiddled with his pockets and he pulled out the envelope that contained her father's message. Annie's face expression quickly changed to one of surprise and curiosity as she eyed the envelope that the man held. "Please, believe me.....This is the message that I intended to deliver to you, I swear to you that I'm telling you the truth". Luis said. "It's not just a message, it's a warning! Please Annie, for your father's sake, read this message and you'll understand!".

Annie eyed the Marleyan Officer suspiciously for a moment, and she gave that look to Armin as well.

She knew that something was wrong, and it was because of the "fact" that a Marleyan Officer traveled all the way from Marley to the Island of Paradis to warn her and her only.

None of this made any sense at all, she does remember the man and she clearly remembers that he was a Marleyan Officer, but why? Why would he clearly risk his life for something all the Marleyans saw with contempt?

She snatched the envelope from his hand and she tore it open, she pulled out the paper that encased it and she took a look on the paper quickly, then her eyes widened in shock.

She instantly recognized that handwriting.

It was her father's!

She knew for certain that no one wrote the same way her father wrote, it was eloquent and clean.