Chapter 1

(1 week after the interaction between Luis and Mr. Leonhart)

Everything seemed so peaceful and quite, it was like nothing bad can possibly happen to anyone or any of his friends in this world. The moon shone brightly in the sky and the weather was cool and peaceful, the stars illuminated the night and it captivated the heart of anyone who was fascinated by nature.

It especially captivated the heart of a certain boy, who goes by the name Armin Arlert.

He was at the top of the wall, staring down at the vast landscape that stood before him. Any other fears and worries that haunted the Arlert boy for the rest of the day were pushed down to the deepest, darkest part of his mind.

What made the landscape even more beautiful was the absence of titans in their area.

Titans are a mystery to his people, to him as well. They are beasts who held many secrets that humanity doesn't know about yet; from where did they come from? What was their purpose? And why do they eat humans when they see one?

Was it out of cruel enjoyment? Or was it because they were above humans in the food chain?

Even more bizarre is that they refused to venture in the night whenever there was a full moon. Hanji explained is that Titans would fall into deep slumber whenever light is not present, she supported her case with her previous captured Titans, Sonny and Bean, before they were killed by a mysterious individual.

Armin was already suspecting someone who killed these titans, and it wasn't only about the deaths of Hanji's subjects for experimenting.

The catastrophe that was the 57th expedition weighed heavily on the minds of all who had a part in it. The losses were great, hundreds, if not; thousands of soldiers lost their lives to an unknown titan that was capable of inflicting a devastating blow to the Corps. Squad Levi perished in the operation and Armin would not forget seeing how grieved the families of each member of the squad were.

The losses were so great, the remaining members of the Survey Corps were called to give up Eren, his best friend, to the Military Police.

It made Armin sick, Eren wasn't a weapon to be toyed around with, he was a human being! Just because he had titan powers, it doesn't mean that his freedom should be tampered with like it didn't amount for anything at all.

But it seemed inevitable, they were going to lose custody over Eren and they won't be able to do anything about it.

It could've been that way.....but their commander had a plan.

It was a plan to secure the responsibility of Eren Jaeger.....and to also apprehend the suspect who was responsible for all of the deaths in the 57th expedition.

Armin remembered that Titan that struck with a terrible amount of force, it was a Versatile Titan (as they came to name it). It had short, blonde hair that barely reached its shoulders with the most menacing blue eyes one can possibly have. It was muscular and tall, almost 15 meters tall, and for being just a titan; it was far too intelligent to be considered just a mere abnormal.

He remembered the Versatile Titan staring down at him with its blue, oceanic eyes as it mustered a small smile. He still remembered the terror that coursed through his veins as he waited for the titan to finish him off and send him to the afterlife.

But that didn't happen.

Instead, the titan removed his hood and it kept looking at him with that unnerving smile, as if it knew something that he did not know.

Then, the titan let go of Armin and ran away.

Millions of thoughts rushed within his mind, but the most important question still kept bothering him ever since this titan spared his life.

Why didn't it kill me?

The titan didn't hesitate in smashing the two other soldiers to the ground like they were some insects, and neither did the titan hesitate in attempting to kill Jean when he tried to attack it.

But why was HE spared?

Armin thought about it more, a lot more than he should've. He tried to come up with any feasible explanation and alas; he found one.

The Versatile Titan did indeed kill soldiers during the expedition, but it didn't eat them. A normal titan would chase after humans like it's own life depended on it, to devour them.

No Titan would have a clear goal or a clear target, but the Versatile Titan had both a clear goal and a clear target! It was going after Eren, only Eren for whatever reason, and it killed anyone that stood in its way.

More so, this titan spared his life!

Armin figured that this titan must've been like Eren, another titan that was being controlled by a human from the nape. It clearly acted the same way Eren acted when he was in his titan form, and it appeared when lightning struck the ground. (As he was told by Eren).

The question was....who?

Who could possibly be the Versatile Titan? Who could possibly be the one who single-handedly destroyed the 57th expedition with little to no effort?

Armin's conclusions aimed at one person, and he felt his heart drop the moment he realized who it was.

The way the titan acted and how it spared him, and even the the appearance of that titan, these were all evidences that aimed towards the last person Armin would think about being responsible for all these deaths.

It can't be Annie......No way it must be her!

Maybe he made a miscalculation on his part? Maybe he did a mistake?

It can't be Annie! It can't be the same person whom he grew closer to during their days in the training regiment! It can't be the same person who risked her life to save Connie from being eaten by a titan!

But all of his evidences aimed towards her, only her, and there was no use for Armin to keep denying what looked like the truth.

Tomorrow, he, Eren and Mikasa are going to trick Annie into following them (While Jean would be dressed as Eren and act as a decoy to distract the government, as planned by Erwin). Armin hoped and he prayed that he would be wrong about his assumptions and it would be all just a huge misunderstanding.

Please, just prove me wrong.

Just this time.