Chapter 42

"I'm really sorry that you had to face this, Mr. Springer...". Luis said as he kept digging on the ground with his shovel, a grim expression being worn on his face.

Mr. Springer kept his silence as he kept digging alongside Luis. The corpses of the three men, who tried to attack both him (Luis) and Levi, lied on the ground beside them.

Mr. Springer insisted that these men, no matter what their intentions were, should be given the respect that they deserve. Luis couldn't help but feel inclined to help the man in whatever he wanted to do with them, respect for the dead was something he believed in after all.

"Did you ever kill anyone before?". Mr. Springer asked while he was digging.

Luis was slightly caught off-guard by the question, but then his face morphed with sadness as he saw the corpses of the rogue soldiers.

"Unfortunately, I have". Luis said. "Back when I first joined the army, there were raids being done by mobsters and criminals. Sometimes they targeted innocents, and at other times; they targeted those who were meant to enforce order". He said. "I still remember the face of the man that I've first killed, he was trying to kill one of my comrades and I had no choice.....And all what I could remember of him was his eyes slowly losing its light as he finally let go of his soul".

"And how did it feel?". Mr. Springer asked as he looked at Luis.

Luis shook his head. "It was terrible, I thought it was the most devilish act that I've ever done". He said. "But....I eventually came to terms with it, because I only ever did it out of self-defense".

"And how do you feel about the men that you just killed?". Mr. Springer asked.

Luis looked at the now deceased leader of the unit, and he sighed mournfully. "I wish it could've ended in any other way, but I felt like I had no choice". He said. "Wherever that man may be, I pray that God Almighty would encompass him in his mercy, I pray that he would've found eternal peace".

Mr. Springer remained silent until he solemnly nodded, then he and Luis continued digging with silence accompanying them.

(.......)

"Let me help you sit, Captain Levi". Ms. Springer said as she helped Levi sit on the soft cushion.

Levi sighed. "Ms. Springer, it would be highly dishonoring of me to make you clean the mess I made, let me help you-".

"Hush now, young man". Ms. Springer cut Levi off.

Levi widened his eyes in surprise, but then he felt a form of annoyance, born out of offence, take form in his chest.

"Tch, I'm not young". Levi thought to himself.

No matter, he wasn't going to blurt out what he thought, because he felt that he'd be disrespecting her that way.

"Your ankle is in a bad shape, so if you wanna help me, then don't move too much". She said. "Please rest Captain Levi, you had to literally fight for your life just moments ago".

"I...know that". Levi said. "But I still feel it is an obligation upon me to help you, our mess should've never reached your household, it should've never disturbed your peace".

Ms. Springer sighed as she turned towards Levi. "What a persistent man you are, Captain Levi". Ms. Springer slightly chuckled. "Well.....You can help me if you want, but if the pain in your ankle becomes unbearable; then you'll sit".

Levi nodded as relief spread over his face. "Thank you, miss Springer".

Levi slowly got up and helped Ms. Springer to the best of his ability to rearrange the house, though Ms. Springer made sure that he wasn't doing anything that may be burdensome given his current state.