Chapter 4

"Shouldn't you be sleeping right now?".

Erwin looked up from his notebook and he met the face of a man who he knew for so long.

"I would ask you the same thing, Levi". Erwin said as he closed his notebook.

Levi looked at the window. "My mind prefers to keep me awake". Levi said. "In other words, I can't sleep, at least not yet".

Erwin nodded silently in understanding.

"How is your leg?". Erwin asked.

"It could've been worse". Levi said. "But I'm still going to be out of commission, the doctors said it will take some time to heal".

For a moment, neither of the veteran soldiers said anything to each other as they spent this moment in peaceful silence. It was finally disturbed when Levi began to speak.

"So...Supposing that we capture the Versatile Titan, what do we do to her after we interrogate her?". Levi asked. "That is if she wanted to cooperate with us, something I'm highly doubting she'd actually do".

"She knows that she must, her life depends on it after all". Erwin said. "What we'd hope to gain out of this interrogation is her reasons for doing all of this, if we'd know her reasons then we might get a hold of other important intel as well. Thinking about it now; it's hard for me to believe that she did all of that on her own, and I don't believe that her goal was to destroy humanity".

Levi raised an eyebrow. "Why do you think that way?".

Erwin sighed as he opened his notebook once again. "She is a human herself, even though she is capable of transforming into a titan.....It's hard for me to believe that she wanted to kill people of her own kind willingly, I firmly believe that there must be an outside party influencing her decisions". Erwin said. "Besides, she was within the walls this entire time......She had every chance to cause havoc within the walls like how the Armored and Colossal Titans did five years ago, and when we were on that expedition; she solely focused on Eren Jaeger this entire time".

Levi nodded his head in understanding. "She did, she tried to ignore Mikasa when she attacked her, and she was trying to run away from us when she temporarily captured Eren". He said. "But the question is this: Why did she want to capture Eren to begin with? Could it be because of his titan powers? And if so, what did she want to do with him?".

"I do not know, but I doubt that she'd be able to do anything with his power on her own merit". Erwin said.

Silence accompanied the duo for a moment, until Levi spoke.

"If she refuses to cooperate, then I will be the one to kill her". Levi said with a dark tone, though his face remained stoic; his eyes showed an unnatural thirst for revenge.

Erwin knew that Levi was still hurting from the death of his squad, he knew how close they were to him and it was natural for Levi to demand retribution for the crimes she committed.

Erwin was not ignorant of what she did to the good men who dedicated their hearts for humanity's glory. Nothing will ever excuse her crimes, no matter what kind of motivation she had.

Still, despite the fact that Annie was a criminal, Erwin saw an opportunity he can exploit for humanity's glory, and it wasn't just interrogation.

"Leonhart can fight for us". Erwin said.

Levi became shocked when these very words escaped the mouth of Erwin Smith, this traitorous fiend? Fight for them?

"What the hell do you mean by 'fight for us'?". Levi asked. "You didn't forget that she was responsible for the disaster at the previous expedition".

"I know". Erwin said. "I've not forgotten what kind of a person she is, and neither did I forget how soaked her hands are in the blood of our fallen comrades, but if she would be willing to cooperate with us by giving us the information we'd need; then she can be easily convinced to fight for us". Erwin said.

"Then why do you propose such an idea?". Levi asked, already feeling disgusted at the thought of working with the murderer of his squad.

"Levi, think about it". Erwin said. "Annie Leonhart is not only an important source of information, she is also a titan shifter. If we would have two titans fighting by our side, then recovering the lands that we lost to the titans will be made much easier". Erwin said. "We've seen the capabilities of the Versatile Titan when it was in action, it would be a devastating weapon against the titans that threaten us, and we can learn much more from Leonhart about her titan abilities so Eren can develop his abilities". Erwin explained.

"And to add, I'm already suspecting something about this shifter....". Erwin thought to himself. "She's a key to something that is much bigger, something that the king of the walls stole from his people".

Levi digested everything that Erwin told him, and he slowly came to accept that what Erwin said made sense. Annie is a bastard, a murderer who is rotten to the core, and Levi knew that he would never forgive her in this lifetime and the hereafter.

But, like what Erwin said, she is an important asset. Tossing her aside would be a loss for humanity, and they would appreciate another boost of power to help recover the lands they lost (Most notably: Wall Maria).

So Levi knew that if it would ever come to what Erwin said, he would have to set aside his feelings and his (justified) hatred towards the girl and cooperate with her, since the fate of humanity depended on it.

It's what his teammates would've wanted, right?

"You make a point". Levi said. "Though I agree with everything that you said, I want to make a point clear; if she dares to step out of line and attempts to attack any of our soldiers, I won't hesitate in killing her". Levi said.

Erwin nodded. "I wouldn't blame you at all, Levi".

Suddenly, a soldier burst through the doors with a panicked look on his eyes as he panted heavily.

"Hey, what the hell happened to you? You look like a slobbering dog". Levi said as he carefully eyed the soldier.

The soldier placed his hand over his heart as a form of salute to the veteran soldiers. "Sir-I mean Sirs! I've been sent to deliver you urgent news!".

Erwin and Levi looked at each other, what could Armin possibly want from Erwin and Levi at this time?

"Someone.....Someone came from outside the walls, and he claims that humanity exists beyond the walls!". The soldier said. "This man....This man also claims that he knows Annie Leonhart!".