Chapter 2

"My morals be damned".

This was the very phrase that kept ringing in the mind of Luis as he sat in an isolated house in Wall Maria. Night time descended a long time ago and he needed to rest before he continued his journey towards Wall Rose.

Wall Maria was devoid of any life, all what Luis was able to witness were the ruins of the gates that once kept the citizens safe, and the bones that scattered throughout the land. Titans were roaming the area, searching for any human to eat, but when they didn't find one; they would venture beyond Wall Maria.

Luis felt sick to his stomach, how many innocent people died when the warriors struck Wall Maria? How many men, women and children have lost their lives and their future because of a government's corruption and greed?

The warriors were also children, children who were forced to become soldiers due to their circumstances, children who had their lives and their family's lives on the line because of this cruel mission.

Ever since Luis's arrival to Wall Maria, he quickly hid in one of the abandoned homes and so far; luck only aided him that Titans weren't able to notice him. When nightfall came, Luis looked out at the window and what he saw next puzzled him.

There was a titan, it was lying beside another abandoned home like it was sleeping, it's eyes kept focusing upon the full, bright moon as it payed no attention to its surroundings whatsoever.

Even though his nation has been making and forcing Eldians to transform into these hideous beasts, his nation barely knew anything about their erratic behavior. All what they knew is that Eldians were a special kind of people who had the ability to transform into titans, and the only way to make them transform was by injecting them with the spinal fluid.

So many secrets lay dormant about these titans, even their origins has been a subject of debate between many scholars around the world.

Luis noticed that this wasn't the only titan that acted this way, he saw other titans lying down and do nothing as they continuously stared into the bright moon.

What was this strange behavior? He saw how active they were in the morning, but what can possibly explain this strange behavior?

Luis sat inside that house for sometime, trying to come up with any feasible plan to get out of Wall Maria unharmed and continue his journey to Wall Rose. If his map was correct, then he would at least need an hour and a half to arrive IF he makes his horse run as fast as it could.

But the titans that remained motionless at the mercy of the moon's light still posed a threat to his safety.

He waited for some time, some hours passed and he kept looking at the titans like how an eagle observes its prey. He kept watching these beasts, as if he was daring them to make any move.

But....They remained still, they remained motionless.

Like literal stones, they did not move not even a single finger, their eyes still concentrated upon the light of the moon.

Why were the titans acting that way? What made the moon so special for the titans, who hungrily looked for humans during day, to cease all of their movements all of the sudden?

"Just like some predators". Luis thought to himself. "They sleep in the night yet they are awake in the day......".

His eyes widened in sudden realization.

"Just like some predators!". He thought. "That's it! That must explain their strange behavior! No wonder that titan did not move a single inch for these past hours!".