Chapter 8

An unpleasant shiver was sent down her spine every time she thought about the way she killed those soldiers during their expedition, and a pang of guilt and sorrow entered her system when she thought of the good men and women she killed.

How many did she kill? Hundreds? She honestly lost count.

Annie Leonhart was a monster, this was something that she came to accept. Her irredeemable sins against her own people (the Eldians) proved of her monstrosity, and her hands were soaked in their blood.

Even her comrades' blood.

The memory of Marco screaming and begging her to stop what she was doing to him still haunted her, and rightfully so. Marco was a bright innocent boy, and everybody liked the freckled boy for a multitude of reasons; his bright personality, his kindness and gentleness and his supportive attitude made him popular within the training regiment.

Annie found herself respecting Marco, and she even found herself enjoying his companionship more than often.

He was, in some ways, like a certain boy she came to admire.

If only he didn't hear her teammates' conversation, if only her teammates weren't so damn stupid.....

But despite the fact she committed all of these sins, she knew that she still had to continue that destructive mission, her own life and even her father's depended on it.

All what she wants now is to go back home, and live out her remaining years with her father in peace.

But then again, did she deserve that peace? After all of the sins that she committed?

There was no excuse to what she did, her own troubled past wouldn't excuse her sins at all. Nothing will ever erase or even take back the things she did, all of the blood she drew will be permanently tainted on her hands until the day she dies.

What a cruel, twisted world she lived in.

She saw past all of the propaganda that Marley had fed to their citizens, she knew that the people who lived behind the walls weren't devils at all and her time within those walls only further cemented that fact.

But...even though she knew that the Eldians of the walls weren't devils, she knew that she had to NOT get attached to any of them, her mission depended on that after all.

Her attachment to Armin Arlert paved the path to her downfall, it was the reason why she failed as a "warrior", like it mattered to her anyway.

Why did she spare Armin that day? She knew that the boy wasn't a fool, nor was he someone to be underestimated. Armin Arlert, on multiple occasions, demonstrated a frightening level of intelligence and cleverness, she knew that sparing his life would mean jeopardizing the mission, even herself.

But despite all of these risks, she still spared him, why?

What made him so special? She killed his own comrades left and right, squashed them like ants with no hesitation, and even attempted to kill one of his closest friends.

But she didn't kill him, she couldn't bring herself to do so. Instead, she picked him up and looked at him in the eyes, relief overcoming her when she saw that Armin was still in one piece.

But why?

Was it because she didn't want to repeat the same sin with Marco? Was it out of pity?

No, it wasn't about any of that.

She was selfish.

She wanted to be selfish, just this time. Annie didn't fully realize how much Armin mattered to her until he was at her mercy, and she couldn't bring herself to kill the Arlert boy because she cared about him so much.

Armin did so much for her, and Annie would never forget any of it. She wouldn't forget all of the time she spent with him, talking about things that gripped his passion (like the sea), and neither will she forget all of the times they comforted each other by their own presence.

In a way, Annie needed Armin. He was a genuinely kind person, someone who wouldn't think twice about helping a stranger in need.

She truly wondered if he will ever forgive her, since he probably would've figured out her true identity by now.

Truth to be told, she would be greatly hurt if Armin would never choose to forgive her, but she knew that his hatred would be justified. She committed so many sins against his own right, who in their right mind would choose to forgive the murderer of their comrades?

As she was walking on the streets of Stohess, she took a turn towards an empty alleyway. Her eyes then met a stranger who had a hood draped over his head.

Suspicion arose in her heart and she prepared herself for any possible confrontation, but the stranger removed his hood and she instantly recognized who it was.

"Hey Annie". Armin said as he smiled towards her. "A full-fledged Military Police I see?". He said.

"Armin!". Annie exclaimed, relief forming in her heart since she saw that Armin was still doing well.

But what was Armin doing here?

"Sorry for the sudden appearance, I hope you were doing well during these previous days". Armin said. "But someone wants to meet you, and that person came with me as well. He claims that he got a message for you".

Annie raised her eyebrows in suspicion, who was that person?

A figure then emerged from the shadows, it was a man wearing a long coat. He had grey eyes and for some reason, he struck a very eerie sense of familiarity when she saw him.

Did she see that man before?

The man looked towards her and he smiled. "Hello Annie". He said. "You may not remember me, but I am an old friend of your father". He said.

"My name is Luis Hartmann, and I came with a message from your father".