Chapter 16

Everyone waited for the commander to show up to deliver them the news that they desperately needed, good news to be more exact.

What was going to happen to Eren and Annie? And would Eren remain as the responsibility of the Survey Corps?

When Erwin finally arrived, he delivered the news that they were waiting for so long, and thankfully; they were good news.

"I've convinced the government officials to let Eren and Annie be the responsibility of the Survey Corps". Erwin said. "That means that we can start interrogating Leonhart right away, if you're all ready of course".

Levi got up from his seat. "If that's the case, I should go and inform Hanji". He said. "She's been on my back ever since we captured that girl, she won't have to wait any longer now".

Sasha noticed one person who was missing from their group. "Hang on....Where's Jean?". Sasha asked, concern evident on her face.

Erwin looked at Sasha. "Don't worry, they said that they were going to drop him off by cart near my office". Erwin said. "They said that they'd just have to ask him some questions before they clear him".

Levi raised his eyebrows. "What kind of questions?". He thought to himself.

"Someone should wait for the boy while you all interrogate Annie". Luis said. "I'll be waiting for him until he gets back, you can all go on without me".

"If this is what you are willing to do, then I believe that we should be going". Erwin said. "However, there are a few things that I would like to discuss with you in private".

Erwin then looked at the rest of the occupants of the room. "All of you, follow Levi's lead to the dungeons. It's not too far from here so you shouldn't face much trouble".

Levi nodded his head. "Alright then, all of you wait for me outside, I'd have to get Hanji first".

"Yes sir!". They all said in unison, then they got out of the office; leaving Erwin and Luis alone.

Luis looked at Erwin, curious about what would Erwin want to discuss with him. "What is it that you want from me Mr. Smith?". He asked.

Erwin looked at him. "I've been thinking about your offer to join the Survey Corps". Erwin said. "Your offer is something that I welcome, but it's not easy to accomplish. I can't enlist a stranger into the Survey Corps without having to go through the training corps first, because if I recall correctly; you have little to no experience in fighting Titans. This means that if you would embark in any of the future expeditions, you'd be guaranteed death". He said. "And I can't risk the government to be even more suspicious than before, why would a complete stranger who has absolutely no records of living here be suddenly recruited by the Survey Corps?".

Luis raised his eyebrows. "Wait.....The government being more suspicious?". Luis asked. "Are they already suspecting something?".

"Not all of them, but some". Erwin said. "I believe that they are suspecting me of hiding something from them, that is why they required Jean to be asked before he is cleared".

Luis widened his eyes in horror. "You mean....You don't think...?".

Erwin nodded his head. "The government would try to do something, or even force Jean to say anything". Erwin said. "I fear that not only we'd have to deal with Annie's teammates, but we'd also have to deal with the government chasing us down".
"You think that the government would eventually be chasing us?". Luis asked.

Erwin looked at him in the eyes. "We'd have to be prepared for anything Luis".

(....)

"Can't you just remain calm for a moment?". Levi said as he gave an aggravated sigh.

Hanji furiously shook her head. "I CAN'T stay calm! I finally get to meet that Titan girl!". Hanji said. "Oh I have lots of things to ask her! And maybe even experiment on her!". Hanji exclaimed with a small, sadistic glee on her eyes.

"Until we interrogate her, you can do all of that". Levi said. "Didn't you have that Luis guy you told me about? Isn't he enough for a source of information?".Hanji asked.

Levi shook his head. "We need to confirm everything that Luis told us, that way we can be sure". Levi said.

"Don't you trust him?". Hanji asked. "I do, but consider this a precaution". Levi answered. "Besides, these kids are dying to know all of the information Luis gave us, interrogating Leonhart will give them everything they deserve to know".

The rest of the 104th (mainly Connie, Sasha, Mikasa and Eren) spent the rest of their short journey to the dungeons in silence. All of them were preoccupied with the thoughts of their suspicions and questions being finally answered today.

This was a pivotal moment for them, because they knew that they'd have a different outlook of this war after they get out of that dungeon.

Alas, they finally reached the stairs that led to the underground dungeon. They climbed down the stairs and followed the lit pathways that led them to the prison cell of the Leonhart girl.

They saw Armin sitting quietly in front of the prison cell's gate while he held the Titan's girl hand, Hanji cleared her throat and this quickly got the attention of Armin and the Titan girl.

"O-Oh! Section Commander Hanji!". Armin stuttered as he quickly got off his seat. "A-And Commander Levi!". He gave them both the famous salute of dedication and they both saluted back.

The Leonhart girl looked up to see both Hanji and Levi, but her face slightly paled when she saw humanity's strongest soldier.

Levi looked down on the handcuffed Titan shifter with disgust. "You're disgusting". He spat. "It is to be expected from a cold-blooded murderer after all".

Armin saw Annie flinch from the harsh comments of his commander, but he knew that he couldn't say anything against him.

Armin may have forgiven Annie, but Levi didn't.

"You know, you can decide how the rest of the day would play out". Levi said. "You can make it easy for yourself or difficult, it's really up to you anyway".

"In other words,what Levi is trying to say is that he's expecting your complete cooperation". Hanji intervened. "If you don't wanna cooperate, then don't worry! We have our own ways to make people talk".

The hint of sadism in Hanji's eyes and the cold yet menacing glare of Commander Levi sent shivers down the Titan girl's spine. Annie was no fool, she understood the dark implications the veteran soldiers were hinting and that made her heart beat faster by the second.

But then again, why was she afraid anyway? She had no reason to stay loyal to a government that took away her father, and neither did she have any reason to remain loyal to a nation that ridiculed her and demonized her for being an Eldian.

There was no reason for Annie to remain loyal to the nation of Marley.

"I'll talk". Annie muttered. "I'll tell you everything that you need to know".

Levi was slightly surprised at how quickly the girl surrendered herself, he honestly expected her to resist their attempts at interrogating her and keep her mouth shut, even though she'd go through horrendous torture.

Luis was right after all, she was willing to betray her previous nation because that said nation betrayed her.

"Alright, good". Levi said in a nonchalant tone. "You've made this a lot more easier for everyone in this room".

"Now talk".