Chapter 46

Annie couldn't keep her mind off of Ymir, not after she knew that she was the one who stole Marcel's powers.

The same cursed scene kept playing in her mind, because her mind wasn't giving her any rest. She was going to share the same roof with the one who killed her squad leader, who caused the entire operation to go south to begin with.

Annie knew  that she shouldn't be feeling bitter about what Ymir did, she was a mindless Titan and she had no control. She didn't need to blame her for the failure of the operation to retake the Founder either, because she had no love for Marley anymore.

But still...Why was she still feeling anxious whenever she saw the Jaw Titan? Why did she feel herself become pale, and why did her heart beat quickened its pace? It wasn't just anxiety that she was feeling, but there was another feeling that Annie tried to vehemently suppress.

Anger.

Annie knew that she'd be a hypocrite if she expressed anger towards what Ymir did, despite the fact that her squad leader was eventually going to drench his own hands in innocent blood. Ymir was innocent of her anger, because she had her freedom stolen from her by the same nation that made her do their dirty bidding.

But why was anger still persisting in her heart? Did she really respect Marcel that much?

Everyone respected the Galliard boy, there were numerous reasons why he deserved such respect and admiration, but did she truly not realize how much he meant to her and her teammates until she saw his powers being used by someone else?

She snapped out of her stance when she heard someone call her name, she turned around and she looked at Sasha; who had a mix of uncertainty and concern written on her face.

"Um....I think we're gonna be sharing this room". Sasha said as she smiled sheepishly. "I hope you're gonna be fine with that! If not, then I'll leave this room totally for you!".

Annie was able to sense all of the hesitation, fear, and even distrust coming from the Braus girl. She wasn't surprised to say the least, and neither could she blame her.

Annie heaved a sigh. "I'm not going to kill you". She said. "And no, I don't mind sharing that room".

Sasha heaved a sigh, as if she was releasing the tension that built on her chest after she had to talk with the Leonhart girl. "Thank you very much! I'll just leave my stuff here and leave you to....well whatever you're doing". She quickly said. "Oh, and by the way, Armin needs you".

"Armin?". Annie muttered, but before Annie could ask; Sasha had already left the room. 

(...)

Armin waited on the hallway, right beside the door of their room. He kept fiddling with his cape as he waited for a certain girl to get out, his mind occupied with various thoughts.

Armin observed the way that Annie looked at Ymir, truth to be told; he was just as shocked as she was, but Armin was able to see that it was much more deeper with Annie.

She knew something about that Titan, and he was willing to ask. He needed Annie to open up to him, so she could tell him whatever bothered her about Ymir.

Armin noticed a figure get out of the room, and his eyes landed on the one who he was waiting for.

"Annie". Armin said as he graciously smiled at the Leonhart girl.

Annie looked at Armin and she gave him a small smile, indicating that she was glad to see him as well.

"Armin". She said in return.

A moment of silence accompanied the duo as both waited for the other to speak their first word. Annie began feeling that the situation might become awkward, so her mind instantly scrambled for whatever response, anything she might say for the Arlert boy.

Thankfully, Armin spoke first, and Annie felt herself become relieved.

"I wanted to talk to you Annie". Armin said. "Actually, no, I wanted to check on you".

Annie raised her eyebrow. "Armin, I'm fine". She said. "I don't think you need to worry about me".

Armin slightly shook his head. "I don't think you understand me". He said "I think...It would be better if we talked about it somewhere else".

(.....)

"....So what is it that you wanted to talk about?". Annie asked as she walked alongside Armin, they made sure that they weren't too far from the house as Erwin ordered.

Armin breathed a heavy sigh as he looked at the Leonhart girl, his eyes showing how worried he felt for her. "Annie, are you okay?". He said.

Annie instantly knew what Armin was implying, she remembered that he saw how pale her face became when she saw Ymir in her Titan form. Of course, she should've known that this would've not escaped his mind, not after seeing how terrified and shocked she felt.

"I...I don't think so...". Annie said as she looked down on the ground.

Armin spared her a look of compassion as he placed a hand on her shoulder. "Do you want to sit and talk about it?". He asked.

Annie looked at Armin, then she nodded in approval. Both soldiers sat down as Annie took a deep breath, her eyes showed how remorseful and sad she felt, but the Arlert boy lightly squeezed her shoulders and gave her a smile; telling her that he'll try to help her as much as he could.

Annie sighed and then, she mustered the words that she wanted to speak. "You saw the Titan that Ymir had, right?". She asked.

Armin slowly nodded his head. "Yeah, I was so shocked". Armin said as he looked down on the ground. "I can't believe that Ymir hid it from us this entire time.....".

"Well.....it isn't because that Ymir was a Titan, that you saw me act this way". Annie said, then she took a deep breath. "That Titan....belonged to someone that we knew, a long time ago".

Armin widened his eyes, and his face instantly twisted with compassion. "Oh....". He muttered. "Annie...Was he a friend?".

"I...really don't know". Annie said as she looked on the ground. "He wasn't exactly my friend, but everyone respected him a lot, even I did". She said.

"I see....". Armin said, then his eyes widened once again as he instantly looked at Annie. "If what you're implying is true...then Ymir was also a pure Titan at one point! She must've came from beyond the walls as well!". Armin exclaimed.

Annie nodded her head. "You're right". She said. "It's the only feasible explanation, though I can't tell you that she will open up and start spilling whatever secrets she has".

Armin nodded his head as he looked at Annie. "Listen...Annie, about your friend". Armin muttered. "I'm sorry about him, I'm pretty sure that he would've been a good person".

Annie looked down on the ground. "He was....". Annie said. "If only none of us were forced down to go this path....".

"Annie, it's okay". Armin said as he slowly reached for her hand. "We've talked about this".

Annie became slightly surprised at the slight affection that Armin gave her. All of this affection was still new to her, too new, because she was used to live a life that was filled with hardship, devoid of any form of love.

But she instantly appreciated the gesture and smiled shyly to the Arlert boy, a shade of pink covered her cheeks as she slightly looked away from Armin.

"Thank you...". She muttered.