Chapter 45

None of the soldiers talked as they were following their commander, towards a place that they haven't known about until now. None uttered a single word, and all what they were able to hear was the howling wind and the birds chirping.

They had no words to speak after all, because the deaths of their comrades still weighed heavily on their minds.

However, as much as the horrors inflicted on them troubled their souls, none of them could deny that this moment of silence provided them with some peace, a moment of respite. Some were able to enjoy what nature had to offer from its beauty, while others tried to somehow occupy themselves with memories of the past, the happy memories of course.

It was a way for them to cope from such traumatic events, and it was their way to cherish what little sense of peace they had left.

As Levi was sitting on top of Ymir's head, he turned around to look at Erwin. He cleared his throat to get the attention of the experienced commander, to ask him a question that was lingering on his mind for a while.

"Erwin, where is that house that you are talking about?". Levi asked.

Erwin looked at him. "It should be just right ahead, according to the map". He said. "If my calculations are right, it should take just ten more minutes...".

Levi looked towards the road that was ahead of them, and then he looked back to his commander.

"Erwin, you knew about that secret place all along". Levi said. "You would've saved us a lot of trouble if you just took both of us there".

"I would've not been able to". Erwin argued. "Even if I were to take you away before the operation's beginning, this would've caused the government to become instantly alert. If I were to take you there during the operation as an alternative, then the Interior Police would've known about it as well".

"....Had the Anti-Personnel Squad knew about it...then there wouldn't be any safe place to hide". Luis concluded as he looked at Erwin. "That was why Ragako was the safest option...even though we most likely placed its inhabitants in danger....".

"Not quite, the government won't be able to do a thing against them". Erwin said. "All what they did was house you, they haven't cooperated with you at all".

Both Luis and Levi felt relief spread over them as they heaved a sigh of relief, at least Ragako was out of harm's way.....

"But....what have you done to the captured soldiers?". Erwin asked. "You mentioned two soldiers of the Interior Police, yet you haven't went into specifics".

"Ymir ate them". Levi said. "She hasn't killed them....yet. They are currently alive, but very filthy".

"I...see". Was all what Erwin said in reply.

(......)

The area was bigger than anyone else had expected, but it was fine nonetheless.

The house wasn't big, but it wasn't small either. It had a small farm and there was a river flowing beside it. A small foot storage was built near the house, should the need to hunt for food ever rise.

"That...How did you manage to do that, Erwin?". Luis asked.

"I built it by brokering some deals, only a select few knew about this". Erwin said.

"Like me". Levi commented.

"That's....the area is beautiful!". Sasha exclaimed as amazement was written all over her face. "The area is also just perfect for hunting! If we ever run low on food then we can either use that small farm or go and hunt!".

"I wouldn't recommend hunting, not when the government bastards would eventually send in some search units". Levi said, then he looked at Erwin. "You know that this place isn't going to last?".

"I know". Erwin said. "But for the time being, it will suffice. All soldiers, strap your horses anywhere you see fit, but make sure they remain within the premises of this area". Erwin ordered. "Go to the house and get rest, there should be enough rooms for everyone, and in the case that there isn't; then the female soldiers can share their rooms together, and the males can do so as well".

The soldiers eventually dispersed and they all did what the commander had told them to do.

"Commander, what are we going to do with Jean Kirstein?". A soldier said. "We can't have him running free, not after what he had done".

The Commander pondered for a moment. "Give him away to his friends". Erwin said. "Connie and Eren should be able to deal with him, I trust that they can keep a constant eye on the boy".

Just as the soldier nodded and went to fulfill the Commander's orders, Levi approached Ymir with an idea circulating in his mind.

"Hey, Titan brat". Levi called out to Ymir. "Spit out these soldiers, we need to have a talk with them".

(Sorry for the short chapter, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless!)