Chapter 25

"Annie, where are you taking us?". Reiner asked as he and Bertholdt followed Annie's lead. "This is different from the path we were supposed to take to the castle".

"I know, but trust me". Annie said as her eyes were focused on the path they were crossing. "This path is much more safe for us to follow, it will be longer than our original path but its better to be safe than sorry".

"More safe?". Bertholdt asked as he raised his eyebrows in confusion. "Why do you say that? Wasn't our old path safe?".

Annie shook her head. "Things changed, since I am missing from the Military Police headquarters; they'd send search parties everywhere for me". She said. "Our original path would've been riddled with Survey Corps soldiers and we would've risked exposure, we couldn't allow this to happen".

Reiner raised his eyebrows in confusion, why would they form search parties for Annie? He knew that they wouldn't be making a huge deal over a missing Military Police personnel, sure they might send a couple of soldiers to search for a missing MP, but why search parties consisting of Survey Corps soldiers?

Unless....

"Annie, they can't be making search parties consisting of Survey Corps soldiers over one missing Military Police personnel". Reiner said. "Are they....Are they suspecting something about your true identity?".

Annie became silent for a moment and then she sighed. "....You're right". She said. "They are already suspecting me of being the Versatile Titan". Annie said.

Bertholdt and Reiner widened their eyes in shock. "...How?". Reiner muttered.

"When you were on the expedition, I came across Armin". She said. "I....He was under my mercy, I could've killed him here and there....But I couldn't". She said, her face filled with remorse as she recalled this memory.

Reiner's eyes widened in sudden realization as he looked at Annie's direction. "....The only reason why they'd be suspecting you of being a Titan is because of Armin....That kid's a damn genius". He muttered, then his face twisted in frustration. "You jeopardized the entire mission by letting your emotions get in your way Annie! This was irresponsible of you!".

"I know". Annie said. "But what's done is done, we still have to meet our war chief and we can still create a strategy of our own".

"Still! If you killed Armin before, then none of this would've happened!". Reiner argued. "You didn't hesitate in killing Marco before, why not Armin?".

Bertholdt flinched when the subject of Marco's death was brought up again, the weight of guilt washed over him once again as his face twisted with remorse.

"I don't know". Annie said with an irritated tone. "I just couldn't kill him, I couldn't bring myself to kill him like we did with Marco". She said as her tone shifted with remorse upon mentioning the deceased boy.

"Don't tell me you became attached to these devils too". Reiner said as he narrowed his eyes. "Don't let these devils interrupt your way of thought Annie, you're a good warrior and warriors feel no sympathy for devils".

Annie became silent and she did not reply to any of Reiner's statements, but Bertholdt knew that she was beyond irritated, even angered, towards everything that Reiner said.

There was nothing for Bertholdt to say, he couldn't really blame Annie for feeling this way because he too came to sympathize with the "devils".

"You hypocritical bastard". Annie thought to herself as her eyes narrowed.

"....Just follow me". Annie said. "What's done is done, and I won't bear myself to hear anymore of your whining, so please keep quiet". 

Reiner was about to argue once again but the argument died on the tip of his tongues when Bertholdt placed his hand on his shoulder. "Just drop it Reiner, it's not worth it". He said. "Our fight is still not over, we can still make a strategy and we'll finally be able go back to our hometown".