Chapter 30

Annie went to strike Bertholdt's armored leg with her hardened one, her hardening can easily break both the armor and his Titan's leg, utterly wasting what little left of balance he would've had left.

As she went to strike for his leg, he was surprisingly able to dodge her swift attack. Annie was slightly surprised at how fast Bertholdt's reflexes were, she slightly underestimated his reactions.

Bertholdt placed a considerable distance between him and her, his fists still raised and his defensive pose unbroken. Annie quickly took two steps back and she began to form a plan in her mind to attack him, to strike him down.

She wasn't going to let Bertholdt have any chance to attack her, if he was still hesitating then she can easily apply pressure on him until his defense completely breaks.

A quick idea formed in her mind, and her fists began to harden. She ran towards Bertholdt and she would've sworn that he saw him slightly panic.

Bertholdt quickly guarded his face, but the force of Annie's punch broke a part of his hand's armor, making him stumble backwards. Annie didn't spare a chance for him to recover, so she quickly sent another powerful punch to break his guard.

Once she saw an opening, she immediately jabbed his jaw with her hardened fist. A large part of his jaw's armor was instantly broken, and he began stumbling backwards. Annie immediately saw a chance for her to strike his feet, and without wasting any second; she quickly hardened her leg and went to deliver a swift kick for the second time.

To Annie's shock, Bertholdt grabbed her leg. Her swift kick delivered some damage to the armor of his abdomen, but nonetheless he saved his leg from being utterly crippled from Annie's damaging kick.

Once he got a hold of her leg, he immediately carried her and threw her away. Though Annie didn't necessarily feel any form of pain, she was slightly disoriented thanks to the force of Bertholdt's throw.

(......)

"Annie, I'm so sorry". Bertholdt muttered to himself.

He was able to see a chance to quickly attack the Leonhart girl, he would be able to attack her while she was vulnerable, but he felt hesitation grip every part of his muscle.

It hurt him to see that Annie was not hesitating at all, she was completely dedicated to defeating him, she wasn't sparing him nor was she holding back. 

But this was why Bertholdt admired her, she never hesitated at all, no matter what obstacle stood in her way and no matter how hard it was, Annie remained steadfast and tenacious. He wished that he had such level of commitment and tenacity, but such things were beyond him, or so he thought.

Right now, Bertholdt knew that he shouldn't hesitate, this very battle would determine wither or not he would be able to return to his family, to his ailing father.

But would he have to kill Annie? Was that what it would take?

"It's either her or your family!".

Damn it, he loved his family with every fiber of his being but his admiration to Annie was just as strong, what was he going to do?

"Please don't make me hurt you". Bertholdt thought to himself.

He saw Annie get up once more, and she struck her defensive pose once more.

(.....)

"Damn it, I underestimated you". Annie thought to herself.

Bertholdt's defense was a lot more stronger than what Annie expected, his quick reflexes were the things that saved him from losing this tremendous battle. Though his titan did receive some damage, it was far from being rendered to nothingness.