Chapter 43

(Flashback)

"Reiner and Bertholdt were the only ones with me during these four years". Annie said as she looked at Luis.

Luis raised his eyebrows in confusion. "Only Reiner Braun and Bertholdt Hoover?". He questioned. "What about Marcel Galliard? Wasn't he your squad leader?".

Annie heaved a mournful sigh as she looked down on the ground. "On our way to the walls, there was a Titan hidden within the greenery". She explained. "Reiner was unaware...No, none of us were even aware of its existence. It stood perfectly right behind Reiner, and when it sensed our movements; it got up". She explained.

Luis widened his eyes as he knew what was about to transpire.

"This Titan...It tried to grab Reiner". She explained. "Reiner wasn't able to jump away on time, but Marcel pushed him away". She continued.

"The Titan grabbed Marcel instead, and all what we were able to do was watch". Annie explained. "Reiner began running away, Bertholdt followed suit...And I was the only one who saw what happened next".

"That Titan.....ate Marcel, didn't it?". Luis said with his eyes widened in horror.

Annie remained silent, her silence only further confirming the statement that Luis made.

"You....Have you at least tried catching that Titan?". Luis said. "It should've turned back into a human....".

"We never did, because we all ran away". Annie said. "And....We'll probably never going to see it again....".

(End of Flashback)

Annie told him that they were never going to see that Titan again, but reality proved otherwise.

Here he was, sitting on the top of the very Titan that not only killed one of their warriors, but also stole his powers.

"Damn it, you brat". Levi said as he gripped her hair tightly. "You were a damn Titan this entire time? Why the hell haven't you told us?".

"Because you all seemed like untrustworthy bastards initially". Ymir thought to herself.

Luis was mortified at the fact that one of their soldiers was holding this specific power, the very power that was stolen from Marcel Galliard, how was his brother going to react if he would ever know about what befell his older brother? That during these four years, his brother was dead? 

But amidst the small grief that Luis felt, curiosity and even suspicion developed in him towards Ymir's true past.

If she inherited Marcel's powers, then that meant that she was a pure Titan before. Luis knew only one place where Eldians were always turned into Pure Titans, and then sent away to Paradis: Marley.

If this was the case, was she an Eldian born in the internment zone in Marley? And if so, what did she do for her to "deserve" such a cruel fate?

Luis decided that it would be best if he kept these questions to himself, for now.

"How are you going to take us back to Commander Erwin?". Luis questioned Levi.

"This brat will take us back where the Colossus Titan last transformed". Levi said. "Damn it....To think that this bastard actually hesitated...How many lives would've been lost because of her...".

When they finally arrived, Levi took an instant glance at the destroyed area. Dried blood tainted the ground as multiple branches of the trees already fell. Levi grimaced at the sight of some of their soldiers lying dead on the ground, his heart twisting towards the grim reality that was before him.