Chapter 53

(Flashback)

"The orientalist village is set up north from where we are right now". Levi said as he pointed at the map. "The easiest route that you could take is through this pathway within the forest. Since all of Wall Rose is crawling with Military Police, this is the safest route that I could think of".

"It is the longest though....". Armin said as he inspected the map.

"Liam's really trying to tight the noose around our neck". Levi said. "He's making sure that none of us have anything to exploit against him, so we need to act fast before the window is permanently closed".

"I know". Armin said. "What's our main objective, Captain Levi?".

Levi looked at Armin. "Escort the remainder of the Survey Corps members here". He said. "And get the village's leader, Jin Sakai, to help us in the coupe".

Armin digested all of the information that was given to him by Levi, and then he asked another question. "I've heard that the majority of their fighters still fight with swords and arrows". Armin said. "Isn't that kind of weaponry a little bit outdated?".

"Lord Jin did try to modernize, as I was told by Erwin". Levi said. "But the government placed a lot of restrictions on weaponry, even their swords. Some of their blacksmiths were even forcefully brought from their village, to make weapons for the military branches". He said. "But I've been told by Erwin that Lord Jin smuggled some weapons, swords or muskets, behind the government's back".

"I see". Armin said. "Given what you told me about their history with the government, I have no doubt in my mind that Liam will try to do something about the village". Armin said. "He probably knows that we will cooperate with them, their hatred for the government just gives it away".

"Which is exactly why we need to move quickly". Levi said.

Levi looked at both soldiers who stood before him. "As I've said before, this route should be the safest, since it has little to no MP presence". Levi said. "But that doesn't mean that you should let your guard down. If you encounter any MPs, or any of the Interior Police, do not engage".

"Yes sir!". They both said in unison, with their hands on their chests.

Levi lifted his eyebrow at the sight of Annie doing the famous salute of dedication, a controlled feeling of irritation grew within him, but he remained looking unfazed.

"Armin, go prepare yourself". Levi said. "I need to have a word with Leonhart".

Armin became slightly worried, but he nodded nevertheless. He spared one last glance to Annie, and he slightly smiled towards her, before he left.

Annie felt a chill run down her spine when the infamous Captain looked at her with his cold, grey eyes. Although she tried her best to remain composed, she couldn't help the slight feeling of dread filling her heart and the constriction of her chest.

She couldn't really look at his eyes after that, her eyes landed on the floor instead.

Levi looked at the shifter with scrutiny. "I expect that you don't botch this up, Leonhart". Levi said. "Because we have everything riding on that".

"I know, sir". Annie said.

"Don't get yourself killed, don't get too reckless, and don't get that boy killed either". He said. "Most important of all, don't forget that the ones who did that salute....their blood is on your hands".