Chapter 38

"No, No, No, NO!!". 

Bertholdt desperately tried to get up in order to somehow escape Annie's hold over him, but he couldn't because her grip was so strong. His left leg, now crippled by Annie's devastating kick, provided her a chance to do whatever she wanted with him, and Bertholdt knew that she was making sure that he won't be able to escape her this time.

She hardened her left leg and proceeded to stomp over his right leg, crippling it in the process. All what Bertholdt was able to do was watch helplessly as she slowly tore his Titan apart, piece by piece.

His only functioning body part was his other arm, his mind began quickly scrambling whatever strategy that could help him survive this fight. If Annie tears off the armor of his nape, then he is definitely done for.

Bertholdt quickly grabbed her leg, an idea forming in his mind, but Annie quickly grabbed it. She then proceeded to viciously stomp on it with her hardened leg, rendering his arm useless.

Bertholdt's heart sank as he saw his last hope of winning this fight crumble away, his last hope of possibly seeing his father died right in front of his eyes. He felt her grip now tighten over his armored nape and his face paled because of crippling fear.

He is going to die, no matter how much he tried denying his apparent fate, it was the end of the line for him.

And he wasn't going to be able to do anything about it.

Out of desperation and pure sadness and guilt, Bertholdt began crying out to Annie, in hopes that maybe she could hear his cries and shouts even though his Titan was unable to speak. He was hoping that maybe they could work something through, maybe she could spare him! Maybe she could....

He still needed to see his father!

But alas, the armor of his nape now began crumbling under the intense grip of her hardened hand. Bertholdt would've sworn that his heart would eventually burst out of his ribcage as his entire body began to violently shake, despite the fact that it was engulfed with the inner tissue of the Titan body.

As a last bid of desperation, Bertholdt screamed as tears began rolling down his face.

"ANNIE!!!!". Bertholdt screamed again, hoping that the Leonhart girl would be able to hear his pleas, hoping that somehow he would be able to reach out to her.

But to his horror, whatever resistance that his nape's armor had now vanished.

Annie shattered it completely.

"ANNIE!! PLEASE!!!". Bertholdt shouted as tears began running down his face like a river stream. "I WANT TO SEE MY FAMILY ALIVE!!!".

"MY FATHER STILL NEEDS ME!!!".

His nape's flesh now was being torn apart.

"ANNIE!!!". Bertholdt shouted.

But she did not heed him.

Bertholdt braced himself to be dug out of his Titan's nape as he muttered prayers and deep apologies to everyone that he ever hurt, to his family, and most especially to his father.

He braced himself for a cruel death, but for some reason it never came. Bertholdt opened his eyes and he still saw himself within the Titan's body.

But suddenly, two hands grabbed his shoulders and pulled him out. Bertholdt's heart dropped as he finally saw the outside world once again, but when he turned to see who pulled him out; his heart was so relieved to the point that he cried tears.

"Bertholdt!". Reiner said with a relieved smile on his face. "We got you buddy! Don't worry about a damn thing!".

Bertholdt quickly smiled a smile filled with relief and happiness, but then his eyes turned towards another Titan. His eyes widened as realization hit him immediately.