Chapter 24

(Flashback, a couple of hours before the operation began)

"Annie, I've been meaning to ask you this question". Armin said as he fiddled with the keys of her cage.

She still sat behind the iron bars of her prison, the sun was beginning to make its descend and Annie knew that it was just a couple of hours before the operation begins.

She looked at the eyes of the boy whom she admired. "What is that you want to ask?". She said.

"Before we interrogated you, I have seen that your eyes lost its light". Armin said. "I feared that maybe you've lost the will to fight after you lost your father.....But how are you feeling now? I just want you to know above all else that I'll be here for you". Armin said.

Annie became silent for a moment as she tried to figure out an answer to Armin's complex question.

True, she did feel that she lost all motivation to fight when she knew of her father's fate, and she kept feeling that way for a while. She gave all of the information she withheld about Marley, not out of revenge against the state but because she saw no point in being loyal to a state that betrayed her and because of the weight of guilt that she felt back then.

But at that fateful night, when she was forgiven despite the fact that he knew of the horrible things she did, she found a new spark.

She remembered that she owed Armin everything, for supporting her and for making her realize that she amounted to something, and most important of all; for being the only person who actually understood her. 

She knew that she would have to repay that debt, and she knew that she would have to make up for all of the horrible things that she indirectly put Armin and his friends through.

Because they deserved it, they all deserved it so much.

Wasn't this her father's last wish? To fight for redemption? To redeem herself of all of the sins that she committed?

To become a better person?

Then who was she to disrespect her father's last wishes? If that was her father's last request then she would gladly do it.

Not only because of her love towards her father, but also because she wanted to make amends for everyone she wronged.

Armin included. 

"I did, but you gave me another reason to fight". Annie said as she looked at Armin, gratefulness being written all over her face.

Armin slightly widened his eyes. "M-Me? What is that reason?". He said as a small blush crept on his face.

"That reason being redemption". Annie said. "To make up for all of the horrible things I've done against you, your friends and the Eldians". She said. "Armin, you've done so much for me, you forgave me when I didn't deserve it and you helped me realize that I'm more than just a weapon to be toyed with, it's only fair that I repay my debt for everything that you've done for me". She said.

"And I don't want the innocents within the walls to suffer any longer, I will fight not only to gain redemption, but to protect the people that I was once forced to destroy". She said.

Armin became stunned when he heard these words escape the Leonhart girl, but then he smiled warmly as his blue, oceanic eyes set themselves upon her's. "Then we'll do it, together". Armin said. 

"I promise".

(.....)

"So you're telling me that something's up with Jean?". Levi asked as he drank his tea with Erwin. "Why do you think that way?".

"Something was off about his behavior when he reported to me". Erwin said. "And it doesn't help that he spent an entire day with the government officials, I fear that they may have forced his hands in revealing everything that we've come to know".

"I see". Levi said. "So that's why you're suggesting that me and Luis should tag along?".

"It's dangerous, but you'll be under the protection of the soldiers under my command". Erwin said. "You and Luis will be immediately dropped off to Ragako village, it's villagers will take great care of you until we are done from the operation". He said.

"So we're in a garbage situation". Levi said. "Supposing that we succeed or fail to capture the Titans, then what do we do after we return to the walls?". He asked.

"No, I'll come back alone". Erwin said. "They'd probably set up a trap for us once we come back. By the end of the operation, Eren and his comrades should apprehend Jean and reside within Ragako village with you and Luis until then". He said. "If the village no longer becomes safe, then abandon it and hide somewhere else. Wall Rose is safe and its empty from Titans, and there are many small villages that are scattered within the wall itself".

"And what about you? If the government is really planning to pull this kind of stunt, then surely you must've thought of something?". Levi asked.

"I did". Erwin said. "I've contacted people whom I can truly trust, among them is Dot Pixis". He said. "I've already thought of a plan to counter the government, I will use the connections that I have in order to stage a bloodless coupe against the current government".

"A bloodless coupe?". Levi asked as he set his tea on the table. "Are you sure about this? Overthrowing a present government can throw the walls into chaos". He said.

"I know". Erwin said. "But I've already arranged with Pixis about who can be competent enough to form a proper government, the citizens won't even know that the government was overthrown".

"I see....". Levi said. "All of this is crazy, but what's not crazy nowadays?". 

"I know". Erwin said. "But you do realize why we have to do this, our current government would rather sacrifice our people's survival to keep their dirty secrets".

Levi nodded his head. "We'd have to tell the kids about it". Levi said. "Let them know that the government is after us, that after the operation ends; they'd go back to Ragako".

Erwin nodded his head. "We will Levi, but until then...".

"We'd have to remain vigilant".